Jul 09, 2013
I have so much left to learn. That, more than anything, is what rebuilding the Challenger II has taught me. We're in the middle of finalizing the clutch package, and the whole process has proven to b...
Jun 07, 2013
The design and engineering of the original Challenger II was a close collaboration between my dad's crew of hand-picked drag racing guys and Ford's in house Kar Kraft team. The point man at Kar Kraft...
Jun 05, 2013
Walt Arfons, Land Speed Record innovator and half-brother of fellow LSR legend and drag racer Art Arfons, passed away Tuesday at the age of 96. Along with Art, who died in 2007, Walt was a pioneer in...
May 29, 2013
A great deal of effort has gone into making sure that the Challenger II travels in a straight line. If you happen to see it changing direction quickly, cover your eyes, because what happens next isn'...
May 23, 2013
As we get closer to the streamliner's first test runs, we've had to devote some time to the logistical challenges of transporting such an unusual vehicle. The salt flats are a unique environment that...
May 16, 2013
I mentioned a few entries ago that the updated Challenger II is using dry block engines that don't require radiators or a water system. All the necessary cooling is provided by the large amount of fu...
May 09, 2013
Danny Thompson continues his insight into his plan to restore his father's Challenger II for a renewed push at a Land Speed Record. The Challenger II was built in five months. I've been working on it...
May 02, 2013
What's so great about a dried-up lake in the middle of the desert? It inspires a kind of racing that you don't get to see anywhere else. Rank amateurs labor next to hardened veterans under the boilin...
Apr 25, 2013
Although the course at Bonneville is over five miles long, it's still useful to think of it as a drag race. As the Challenger II accelerates, our return on expended power diminishes exponentially. In...
Apr 18, 2013
How much power does it take to beat the world Land Speed Record? When my dad ran the Challenger II in 1968, he had roughly 1800 horsepower at his disposal. The car had a supercharged 427 Ford SOHC in...
Apr 11, 2013
In my last post I mentioned our commitment to maintaining the authenticity of the Challenger II during the update. My least favorite part of that decision has been the cockpit, which started out smal...
Page 2 of 3
Subscribe to Racer
- IndyCar: Dr. Terry Trammell on Aleshin accident
- Aleshin to remain in hospital
- IndyCar: Aleshin's condition upgraded to stable
- PRUETT: Different stages, different places for Castroneves and Pagenaud
- IndyCar: GP2 driver Daniel Abt evaluating career shift
- SCCA Majors season just one race from finish in Topeka
- IndyCar: Schmidt Peterson team to focus on Pagenaud at Fontana
- F3: America's Ferrucci dominates Brands Hatch race 1
- MotoGP: Marquez takes 10th pole of 2014
- Asian Le Mans: Eurasia ORECA takes pole for Fuji 3 Hours
Video: The Great Cars III Issue
FROM THE RACER CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
Verizon IndyCar Series: News and views from Robin Miller and Marshall Pruett.
Like us On Facebook
- Most Popular
- Recently Added
- Most Commented
- SELECT i.id FROM #__flexicontent_items_tmp AS i JOIN #__flexicontent_items_ext AS ie on ie.item_id = i.id JOIN #__flexicontent_types AS ty on ie.type_id = ty.id JOIN #__flexicontent_cats_item_relations AS rel ON rel.itemid = i.id JOIN #__categories AS c ON c.id = rel.catid JOIN #__categories AS mc ON mc.id = i.catid WHERE c.published = 1 AND ( i.publish_up = '0000-00-00 00:00:00' OR i.publish_up <= '2014-08-31 02:29:51' ) AND ( i.publish_down = '0000-00-00 00:00:00' OR i.publish_down >= '2014-08-31 02:29:51' ) AND ty.access IN (0,1,1) AND mc.access IN (0,1,1) AND i.access IN (0,1,1) AND i.id <> 0 AND i.state <> -2 AND i.state IN (1) AND c.id IN (499) GROUP BY i.id ORDER BY i.modified DESC, i.title ASC
17030 Red Hill Avenue
Irvine, CA 92614
Creative Services Division:
Pfanner Communications, Inc.
Contact Pfanner Communications