LSR VIDEO: Thompson breaks record for hot rods
Danny Thompson, the 66-year-old son of the late Mickey Thompson, has broken the current AA/FS class land speed record after a 402mph run Sunday on the Bonneville Salt Flats in Challenger II; the car was originally built by his father in 1968 and has been restored for a new run for the LSR by the younger Thompson and a small group of craftsmen.
Thompson blew past the 392.503mph record set by Charlie Nearburg in the "Spirit of Rett" in 2009.
"I'm in the 400 club. I like it," Thompson told CNN.
Today's time slip. pic.twitter.com/tyxNdXvWlD— Danny Thompson (@thompsonlsr) August 14, 2016
His official average time was 406.7mph, CNN reports - slightly higher than the 406.60mph his father rain in 1960.
Thompson qualified by making a 411mph run on Saturday. The Southern California Timing Association, Speedweek’s sanctioning body, only grants two-way records; all speeds have to be achieved twice, on subsequent days with no runs in-between, in order to count.
The record was unreachable over the past two years because of bad weather. In 2014, the twin dry block nitro-fueled Hemi V8 powered, all-wheel-drive, 4000hp Challenger II qualified for the AA/Fuel Streamliner record by averaging 419mph during the final mile, but a second run to back up the record was cut short by a clutch failure, and deteriorating weather forced the cancellation of Bonneville's World Finals, ending LSR attempts for the year. Rain – or mud, specifically – wiped out the event in 2015.
Subscribe to RacerMore
- Mixed feelings for Bristol runner-up Bowyer
- Speeding penalty denies Truex at Bristol
- Johnson wins rain-delayed Bristol
- Alonso impressed by 'beautiful' Borg-Warner Trophy
- Earnhardt puzzled by Bristol crash
- Howard to be sponsored by Fertility Center for Indy 500
- Newgarden aims to press on after first Penske win
- Shea Holbrook confirms 4-car PWC Touring Car team
- Tagliani to race Ligier LMP3 in China
- Bretzman to engineer Alonso Indy entry
- MILLER: New star at Penske
- RACER@25: Issue No. 200 - Feat of Endurance
- Scuderia Corsa confirms PWC SprintX program
- Morad joins CRP Racing for PWC SprintX
- IndyCar video: Fernando Alonso with RACER
Video: The 2017 Heroes Issue
FROM THE RACER CHANNEL
RACER Magazine 25th Anniversary Video
33 years of SportsCar magazine history.
See more than 50 On Board videos.