Challenger II 317mph test run
"We hit 317mph on our second pass today. We experienced no issues with the car and successfully gathered all the data we needed for the upcoming SCTA and FIA events later this year. Given today’s positive results, we’ve decided to forgo additional runs and return early. We’re not sure how much more we can learn on the 3-mile track and want to preserve the engines for the longer courses at Speed Week and Cook’s.
"Although the test exceeded our expectations, we still have a lot of work ahead of us. Our engine team is going to work on hopping up our existing setup in order to generate more horsepower and faster acceleration. I personally will be making some modifications to the cockpit and safety equipment setup. As always, we’ll be tweaking our traction formulas in search of the least possible wheel slip." -Danny Thompson
Climb aboard for this July 12 test run in which Danny Thompson's "Challenger II" streamliner reached a speed of 317mph on its second run at the 2014 USFRA Test and Tune. The restored vehicle last ran on the salt at Bonneville in 1968, when it was driven by Danny's father, Mickey Thompson.
- NASCAR: Hamlin undergoes knee surgery
- Nikko Reger column: Ready for the next step
- RACER Video: Robin Miller on Phil Krueger
- IRG Sports + Entertainment names Chris Lencheski as Vice Chairman of Board and CEO
- IndyCar Season Review: Josef Newgarden
- NASCAR: Tony Stewart, Danica Patrick get new crew chiefs
- "Lucas Oil... On the Edge!" series set to return
- F1: Pirelli has 12 hours to find a 'cliff'
- MOTOGP: First full test for KTM
- IMSA: Autometrics outlines NAEC plans
- Introducing: Ryan Briscoe as driver of the No. 67 Ford GT
- Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA announces new class structure and 2016 schedule
- DTM: Hungary rejoins calendar for 2016
- MOTOGP: Ducati says late start to program was costly
- F1: RBR/Renault deal not relying on Lotus
Race Cars For SaleMore...
The RACER Poll
- Votes: (0%)
- Votes: (0%)
Video: The Technology Issue IV
FROM THE RACER CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE