Challenger II 317mph test run
"We hit 317mph on our second pass today. We experienced no issues with the car and successfully gathered all the data we needed for the upcoming SCTA and FIA events later this year. Given today’s positive results, we’ve decided to forgo additional runs and return early. We’re not sure how much more we can learn on the 3-mile track and want to preserve the engines for the longer courses at Speed Week and Cook’s.
"Although the test exceeded our expectations, we still have a lot of work ahead of us. Our engine team is going to work on hopping up our existing setup in order to generate more horsepower and faster acceleration. I personally will be making some modifications to the cockpit and safety equipment setup. As always, we’ll be tweaking our traction formulas in search of the least possible wheel slip." -Danny Thompson
Climb aboard for this July 12 test run in which Danny Thompson's "Challenger II" streamliner reached a speed of 317mph on its second run at the 2014 USFRA Test and Tune. The restored vehicle last ran on the salt at Bonneville in 1968, when it was driven by Danny's father, Mickey Thompson.
Subscribe to Racer
- F1: Hamilton beats Vettel to Bahrain GP pole
- GP2: Vandoorne looks to DRS to boster chances of a Bahrain double
- MotoGP: Marquez leads the way in Argentina
- WTCC: Lopez claims Marrakech pole in dramatic session
- F1: Hamilton leads Vettel in practice 3
- GP2: Nato penalized for causing crash
- Vandoorne wins GP2 opener with late pass of Rossi
- WTCC: Lopez on top in Marrakech practice
- IndyCar: Long Beach gallery - Friday
- RACER: Robin Miller with Will Power at Long Beach
- IMSA: WTR Corvette DP, BMW Z4 on Long Beach poles
- In car: Ryan Dalziel PWC Long Beach
- RACER: Ozz Negri's wild IMSA P2 in-car from Long Beach
- IndyCar: Will Power tops tight battle in FP2 at Long Beach
- NASCAR: Kenseth claims Toyota's first '15 pole
- WEC: Nissan completes major LMP1 test
- Star gazing at the premiere of Newman racing documentary
- PWC: Pappas switches to a Viper GT3R for Long Beach
- 1967 Ford GT-40 shows "How an Underdog Passes a Big Dog"
- IndyCar explains new aero kit policy
Video: The Heroes IV Issue
FROM THE RACER CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
TUDOR United SportsCar Championship: Interviews and insights from Marshall Pruett.