Challenger II 317mph test run
"We hit 317mph on our second pass today. We experienced no issues with the car and successfully gathered all the data we needed for the upcoming SCTA and FIA events later this year. Given today’s positive results, we’ve decided to forgo additional runs and return early. We’re not sure how much more we can learn on the 3-mile track and want to preserve the engines for the longer courses at Speed Week and Cook’s.
"Although the test exceeded our expectations, we still have a lot of work ahead of us. Our engine team is going to work on hopping up our existing setup in order to generate more horsepower and faster acceleration. I personally will be making some modifications to the cockpit and safety equipment setup. As always, we’ll be tweaking our traction formulas in search of the least possible wheel slip." -Danny Thompson
Climb aboard for this July 12 test run in which Danny Thompson's "Challenger II" streamliner reached a speed of 317mph on its second run at the 2014 USFRA Test and Tune. The restored vehicle last ran on the salt at Bonneville in 1968, when it was driven by Danny's father, Mickey Thompson.
Subscribe to Racer
- NASCAR gives Newman heavy penalty
- NASCAR: Larson released from hospital
- Robin Miller's Mailbag for April 1, presented by Honda Racing / HPD
- Vaxiviere keeps FR3.5 test advantage
- F1: Fernley warns about changing approach to penalties
- NASCAR criticizes Indiana's "religious freedom law"
- On board: Ryan Eversley, PWC St. Pete Race 2
- IndyCar: Fan injured by debris at St. Petersburg
- IndyCar: Cleveland to return?
- The Rolling Stones to perform at IMS on July 4
- F1: Bottas backs team orders stance
- Tequila Patron ESM at WEC Prologue test
- F1: Manor denies it can't run both cars
- Hamilton says his brother's BTCC deal "a huge thing"
- F1: Allison says passing Mercedes was unlikely
- Tincknell rejoins Jota for ELMS
- WRC: Suninen gets Toyota test role
- Report: Hamilton set for new contract deal with Mercedes
- Ecclestone suggests all-female F1 support series
- Amazing moment: Car jumps over rival at Goodwood Members Meeting
Video: The Heroes IV Issue
FROM THE RACER CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
TUDOR United SportsCar Championship: Interviews and insights from Marshall Pruett.