Challenger II 317mph test run
"We hit 317mph on our second pass today. We experienced no issues with the car and successfully gathered all the data we needed for the upcoming SCTA and FIA events later this year. Given today’s positive results, we’ve decided to forgo additional runs and return early. We’re not sure how much more we can learn on the 3-mile track and want to preserve the engines for the longer courses at Speed Week and Cook’s.
"Although the test exceeded our expectations, we still have a lot of work ahead of us. Our engine team is going to work on hopping up our existing setup in order to generate more horsepower and faster acceleration. I personally will be making some modifications to the cockpit and safety equipment setup. As always, we’ll be tweaking our traction formulas in search of the least possible wheel slip." -Danny Thompson
Climb aboard for this July 12 test run in which Danny Thompson's "Challenger II" streamliner reached a speed of 317mph on its second run at the 2014 USFRA Test and Tune. The restored vehicle last ran on the salt at Bonneville in 1968, when it was driven by Danny's father, Mickey Thompson.
Subscribe to Racer
- NASCAR: Texas adds additional tire barriers
- Gilles named Head of Design for Fiat Chrysler
- IMSA: Pla placed on probation for actions at Sebring
- Ryan Eversley's RACER Diary: Second weekend, first win!
- RACER: Robin Miller with Shelby Blackstock and Matty Brabham
- IMSA: Modest car count expected for Long Beach
- Lotus the featured marque at inaugural Barber Historics event
- NBC reports big ratings gain for Malaysian GP
- Spencer Pigot's RACER Diary: Two podiums to start the season!
- F1: Gasly to make Toro Rosso test debut
- King leads Bahrain GP2 test
- F1: Tost says "stupid" Verstappen critics silenced
- WEC: Live coverage for all races on Fox Sports
- ABC Supply to sponsor August IndyCar race at Pocono
- DTM revamps its DRS use rules
- DTM's Ekstrom announces World RX title bid
- MotoGP: More to come from Ducati, says Dovizioso
- FIA wants "difficult and physical" F2
- F1 must be made more affordable, Ferrari boss says
- F1: Hamilton says Ferrari's step not just power
Video: The Heroes IV Issue
FROM THE RACER CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
TUDOR United SportsCar Championship: Interviews and insights from Marshall Pruett.