Andreas Mikkelsen responded to a charge from Jan Kopecky to maintain his lead heading for the second service break on Rally Islas Canarias.
After Mikkelsen had edged away from fellow Skoda driver Kopecky on this morning's first loop, the Czech driver fought back with two fastest times at the start of the second group of stages, getting the gap down to just 1.6sec. But then Mikkelsen retaliated on the Tejeda stage, where he was quickest by 3.5sec, restoring his advantage to 5.1sec overall.
Best of the rest Luis Monzon is now over a minute adrift in the Canarias Sport Club Peugeot 207, hanging on ahead of Hermann Gassner Jr.'s Red Bull Skoda. Sepp Wiegand's Skoda Auto Deutschland Fabia has developed a slight misfire, but the German is still fending off Alberto Hevia (AMP Classic Skoda) for fifth.
The rally features three loops of stages today, with the field setting off again for three evening stages later on.
Leading positions after SS6:
Pos Driver Team/Car Time/Gap
1. Andreas Mikkelsen Skoda UK 56m33.6s
2. Jan Kopecky Skoda + 5.1s
3. Luis Monzon Canarias Peugeot + 1m04.4s
4. Hermann Gassner Jr Red Bull Skoda + 1m12.4s
5. Sepp Wiegand Skoda Deutschland + 1m30.0s
6. Alberto Hevia AMP Classic Skoda + 1m32.3s
7. Jonathan Perez AMP Classic Peugeot + 2m26.1s
8. Oleksii Tamrazov Ukraine Ford + 3m21.2s
9. Joan Vinyes Suzuki Iberica + 3m22.4s
10. Gorka Antxustegi Suzuki Iberica + 3m37.7s