Andreas Mikkelsen wasted no time in retaking the lead of Rally Islas Canarias as round two of the 2012 Intercontinental Rally Challenge began its final day.
The Skoda UK driver had led through Friday before deliberately dropping behind rival Jan Kopecky (Skoda) on the final leg one stage to try and get a psychological advantage, saying he "would rather hunt than be hunted."
But Mikkelsen was not behind for long, re-passing Kopecky by winning today's opener and going quickest on the next two stages as well, giving him a 4.4sec lead heading for service.
Luis Monzon remains third in the Canarias Sport Club Peugeot. The chasing Hermann Gassner Jr. (Red Bull Skoda) crashed out of fourth on the first stage of the morning, elevating Sepp Wiegand (Skoda Deutschland).
Leading positions after SS12:
Pos Driver Team/Car Time/Gap
1. Andreas Mikkelsen Skoda UK 1h52m22.4s
2. Jan Kopecky Skoda + 4.4s
3. Luis Monzon Canarias Peugeot + 2m29.6s
4. Sepp Wiegand Skoda Deutschland + 3m30.7s
5. Jonathan Perez AMP Classic Peugeot + 5m32.2s
6. Joan Vinyes Suzuki Iberica + 6m59.0s
7. Gorka Antxustegi Suzuki Iberica + 7m31.8s
8. Angel Marrero Aterura Honda + 9m06.1s
9. Janos Puskadi Eurosol Skoda + 9m21.2s
10. Harry Hunt i-Cars Citroen + 11m22.6s