Dover Motorsports, Inc. has announced that it is ceasing all operations at Memphis Motorsports Park and that it would not be promoting any events in Memphis in 2010. The Memphis facility had been under an agreement of sale to Gulf Coast Entertainment, but Gulf Coast was unable to secure financing.
“This was a difficult decision for us, but one that ultimately was dictated by economics,” said Denis McGlynn, president and CEO of Dover Motorsports. “We greatly appreciate the many years of dedication shown by our Memphis employees and their efforts to make Memphis such a great destination for the racing community – from racing fans and drivers to sponsors, team owners and sanctioning bodies. For all concerned, including the Memphis community, it is truly sad to see Memphis Motorsports Park taken off the racing schedule. NASCAR has approved the realignment of our NASCAR Camping World Truck Series and NASCAR Nationwide Series events from Memphis Motorsports Park to our Nashville and Gateway facilities.”
The realigned events and dates are as follows:
NASCAR Camping World Truck Series: Nashville Superspeedway, April 2, 2010
(together with NASCAR Nationwide Series event on April 3, 2010)
NASCAR Nationwide Series: Gateway International Raceway, October 23, 2010
An ASA race scheduled for next weekend at Memphis Motorsports Park will still be held at the track.
The company said ticket refunds for 2010 events will be mailed out to fans in the next few weeks.