Marco Melandri has played down speculation that he has already signed to rejoin the Gresini Honda team in 2010, despite paddock speculation that he is close to a deal with his old squad.
Speaking to the press prior to the British Grand Prix at Donington, Melandri said that he was still talking to several teams about next year following some giant-killing performances on the under-funded Hayate Kawasaki so far this season.
"Everybody is saying I am already with Honda but it is not like this," he said. "For sure I hope to have good news at Brno so that I can have a good summer holiday. This time we are talking to everybody actually just to understand the situation and let the people know we are free. Like I said everybody thinks I am already with Gresini but it is not like that. It is just talk.
"I would like it actually because I want to be sure for next year, but I don't know now. But I am happy anyway, much more than I was last year."
Melandri added that he was uncertain whether Hayate would continue to run the Kawasaki in 2010, with Japanese manufacturer still keen to curtail its MotoGP activities in the current climate.
"I asked [team boss] Mr Yoda at the Saxonring what is going on with Kawasaki next year and it doesn't look a very nice situation actually," said Melandri. "So even though the results are quite good with very low money, it looks like Kawasaki want to stop. But I am pretty sad about that because I think the bike has a good base. If you worked a little bit more you could develop the bike in a good way. For sure you cannot win but you can be very to the top every Sunday."