Rising V8 Supercars star Scott McLaughlin claimed the third win of his rookie season in race two of the Queensland Raceway weekend.
McLaughlin had already taken wins in the non-championship Melbourne Formula 1 support event and the Pukekohe points round. The Garry Rogers Holden beat pole-sitting champion Jamie Whincup's Triple 8 Commodore off the line on a slightly damp track.
The circuit very rapidly dried and McLaughlin was able to hold Whincup at arm's length throughout. He was untroubled by a safety car to retrieve debris from Lee Holdsworth's Mercedes, ultimately winning by 0.6 second.
James Courtney celebrated his new Holden Racing Team deal with a podium, as he shadowed the leaders in third.
Fabian Coulthard emerged from a wild early gaggle to take a lonely fourth. His Brad Jones Holden teammate Jason Bright grabbed fifth from star rookie Chaz Mostert on the line.
Mostert had qualified a stunning fourth and briefly jumped to second on lap one before being elbowed back. Ford Performance Racing duo Will Davison and Mark Winterbottom and Whincup's team-mate Craig Lowndes all had underwhelming qualifying sessions and could not recover. They finished ninth, 10th and 12th, with a similarly disappointed Garth Tander among them in 11th.
Pos Driver Team/Car Time/Gap
1. Scott McLaughlin GRM Holden 39m34.7532s
2. Jamie Whincup Triple 8 Holden +0.6989s
3. James Courtney HRT Holden +2.4137s
4. Fabian Coulthard Brad Jones Holden +5.9757s
5. Jason Bright Brad Jones Holden +8.6228s
6. Chaz Mostert Dick Johnson Ford +8.6395s
7. Alex Davison Schwerkolt/FPR Ford +14.2398s
8. David Reynolds Rod Nash/FPR Ford +18.6166s
9. Will Davison FPR Ford +18.9585s
10. Mark Winterbottom FPR Ford +19.1623s
11. Garth Tander HRT Holden +20.1390s
12. Craig Lowndes Triple 8 Holden +20.8702s
13. Tim Slade Rosenberg/Erebus Mercedes +21.6127s
14. Alexandre Premat GRM Holden +22.8117s
15. Jonathon Webb Tekno Holden +23.9540s
16. David Wall Britek/BJR Holden +24.0870s
17. Shane van Gisbergen Tekno Holden +25.2683s
18. Tony D'Alberto D'Alberto Holden +26.0855s
19. Tim Blanchard Dick Johnson Ford +26.7501s
20. Russel Ingall Walkinshaw/HRT Holden +26.8486s
21. Rick Kelly Nissan +30.1338s
22. Todd Kelly Nissan +30.4490s
23. James Moffat Nissan +31.9247s
24. Michael Caruso Nissan +32.5983s
25. Scott Pye Dumbrell Holden +34.4602s
26. Dean Fiore Dumbrell Holden +36.8342s
27. Maro Engel Erebus Mercedes +38.7258s
Lee Holdsworth Erebus Mercedes 5 laps