McLaren completed its clean sweep of Hungarian Grand Prix practice sessions as Lewis Hamilton went fastest in the final hour this morning.
The World Champion had a 0.399-second margin over BMW's Nick Heidfeld in second place, with Heikki Kovalainen putting the second McLaren fourth behind Williams's Nico Rosberg.
The title contenders barely featured at the top of the times, with Mark Webber and Sebastian Vettel only ninth and 10th for Red Bull, and the Brawns back in 13th and 17th, Jenson Button slower than teammate Rubens Barrichello.
Hamilton had an answer for everything the rest of the field could throw at him this morning. He knocked team-mate Kovalainen off the top spot early on, then was able to reclaim the place on two occasions after first Toro Rosso's Sebastien Buemi, then Ferrari's Felipe Massa briefly usurped him.
Rosberg managed to close to within a few hundredths of a second of the McLaren, but again Hamilton had time in hand and extended his advantage once more. Heidfeld then got between Hamilton and Rosberg, with Kovalainen also looking set to return to the top three until some errors in the second part of his last lap left him fourth.
Buemi remained in touch with the front-runners and ended the morning fifth. His novice team-mate Jaime Alguersuari was as high as second in the middle of the session, but was pushed back to 18th by the end.
Timo Glock missed the majority of the session after his Toyota developed a hydraulic leak during its first flying lap. He managed to get back to the pits for repairs, which were completed in time for him to rejoin in the final minutes and leap up to sixth.
Force India's Adrian Sutil provided the only accident of the morning, veering through the gravel and into the tire barrier after misjudging the entry to Turn 8.TIMES:
Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:21.009 19
2. Heidfeld BMW Sauber (B) 1:21.408 + 0.399 23
3. Rosberg Williams-Toyota (B) 1:21.509 + 0.500 21
4. Kovalainen McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:21.655 + 0.646 20
5. Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) 1:21.800 + 0.791 23
6. Glock Toyota (B) 1:21.849 + 0.840 12
7. Massa Ferrari (B) 1:21.911 + 0.902 19
8. Nakajima Williams-Toyota (B) 1:21.935 + 0.926 19
9. Webber Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:21.936 + 0.927 16
10. Vettel Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:21.971 + 0.962 21
11. Kubica BMW Sauber (B) 1:22.076 + 1.067 20
12. Trulli Toyota (B) 1:22.097 + 1.088 25
13. Barrichello Brawn GP-Mercedes (B) 1:22.101 + 1.092 22
14. Piquet Renault (B) 1:22.210 + 1.201 17
15. Raikkonen Ferrari (B) 1:22.270 + 1.261 20
16. Alonso Renault (B) 1:22.274 + 1.265 19
17. Button Brawn GP-Mercedes (B) 1:22.312 + 1.303 22
18. Alguersuari Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) 1:22.391 + 1.382 20
19. Fisichella Force India-Mercedes (B) 1:22.684 + 1.675 23
20. Sutil Force India-Mercedes (B) 1:23.231 + 2.222 16
All timing unofficial