Lewis Hamilton led Jenson Button in a McLaren 1-2 as the team dominated an uneventful opening practice session for the Hungarian Grand Prix at the Hungaroring.
Hamilton moved to the head of the order after 34 minutes, and was never deposed. He gradually improved his time and by the halfway point was down to a 1m22.821s, which stood as the best of the session.
Button had a few seconds in first place before Hamilton supplanted him, and then kept in touch with his teammate to finish the morning 0.101sec behind.
The McLarens were just over half a second clear of the field. Fernando Alonso put his Ferrari up to third late on, shuffling the Mercedes of Nico Rosberg and Michael Schumacher down to fourth and fifth, ahead of the second Ferrari of Felipe Massa. Kimi Raikkonen continued to evaluate Lotus's "double DRS" in seventh place, followed by team-mate Romain Grosjean.
Williams reserve driver Valtteri Bottas showed well in ninth place, while the Sauber of Sergio Perez completed the top 10. Other 'Friday drivers' in action were Force India's Jules Bianchi – who took Nico Hulkenberg's car to 18th – and HRT's Dani Clos, in for Narain Karthikeyan and 1.1s off team-mate Pedro de la Rosa in last place.
Red Bull kept a low profile, Mark Webber and Sebastian Vettel only 13th and 15th.
The Hungaroring's ample asphalt run-off areas saw visits from several cars, but the closest the session came to drama was when Pastor Maldonado's Williams took a messy detour through the Turn 10 gravel trap after being caught out trying to pass Heikki Kovalainen's slower-moving Caterham.
Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1m22.821 30
2. Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 1m22.922s + 0.101 24
3. Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1m23.397s + 0.576 24
4. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1m23.628s + 0.807 29
5. Romain Grosjean Lotus-Renault 1m23.633s + 0.812 24
6. Michael Schumacher Mercedes 1m23.845s + 1.024 26
7. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1m23.904s + 1.083 25
8. Kimi Raikkonen Lotus-Renault 1m23.983s + 1.162 24
9. Valtteri Bottas Williams-Renault 1m24.152s + 1.331 24
10. Sergio Perez Sauber-Ferrari 1m24.268s + 1.447 27
11. Pastor Maldonado Williams-Renault 1m24.300s + 1.479 23
12. Kamui Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari 1m24.394s + 1.573 19
13. Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 1m24.546s + 1.725 24
14. Paul di Resta Force India-Mercedes 1m24.559s + 1.738 22
15. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1m24.608s + 1.787 25
16. Daniel Ricciardo Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m25.354s + 2.533 25
17. Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m25.559s + 2.738 27
18. Jules Bianchi Force India-Mercedes 1m25.715s + 2.894 26
19. Vitaly Petrov Caterham-Renault 1m26.440s + 3.619 27
20. Charles Pic Marussia-Cosworth 1m26.705s + 3.884 23
21. Heikki Kovalainen Caterham-Renault 1m26.755s + 3.934 28
22. Timo Glock Marussia-Cosworth 1m27.015s + 4.194 24
23. Pedro de la Rosa HRT-Cosworth 1m27.101s + 4.280 21
24. Dani Clos HRT-Cosworth 1m28.176s + 5.355 24
All Timing Unofficial