Felipe Massa put Ferrari back on top in the final practice session at Barcelona ahead of Spanish Grand Prix qualifying.
The Brazilian edged out Kimi Raikkonen's Lotus by just 0.006 second in a very tight end to the hour. By the time the medium-tire qualifying simulations were completed, just 0.353s covered the Ferraris, Lotuses and Red Bulls.
As had been the case on Friday, local hero Fernando Alonso spent plenty of time at the head of the order in the No. 3 Ferrari.
Early quick times from the Mercedes, Sebastian Vettel and the Lotus pair were deposed when Alonso set a 1m23.006s after 24 minutes. The lap was far from perfect, but it was enough to edge a few fractions in front of Romain Grosjean and Raikkonen.
Alonso's time was the quickest of the hard-tire runs, and when the qualifying simulations on mediums began, he was first to raise the bar with a 1m22.254s.Raikkonen then hinted that Lotus might have the one-lap pace to be a qualifying factor as he beat Alonso's time by 0.347s 10 minutes from the end. The only man able to beat this was Massa, who slipped in a 1m21.901s to secure the top spot.
Mark Webber ended up as Red Bull's lead runner in third, followed by Grosjean and Vettel.
Alonso was eventually pushed down to sixth.
The Force Indias of Paul di Resta and Adrian Sutil took seventh and eighth.
Mercedes worked hard on long runs, Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg completing more laps than anyone else.
They ended up ninth and 11th, split by another impressive run from Toro Rosso as Jean-Eric Vergne made the top 10.
McLaren continued to struggle. Jenson Button and Sergio Perez were only 12th and 14th in the heavily revised car.
Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap Laps
1. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1m21.901s 13
2. Kimi Raikkonen Lotus-Renault 1m21.907s + 0.006s 14
3. Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 1m22.044s + 0.143s 17
4. Romain Grosjean Lotus-Renault 1m22.069s + 0.168s 13
5. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1m22.229s + 0.328s 17
6. Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1m22.254s + 0.353s 15
7. Paul di Resta Force India-Mercedes 1m22.574s + 0.673s 11
8. Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercedes 1m22.729s + 0.828s 17
9. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 1m22.740s + 0.839s 24
10. Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m22.759s + 0.858s 15
11. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1m22.839s + 0.938s 26
12. Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 1m23.151s + 1.250s 13
13. Esteban Gutierrez Sauber-Ferrari 1m23.371s + 1.470s 21
14. Sergio Perez McLaren-Mercedes 1m23.373s + 1.472s 13
15. Pastor Maldonado Williams-Renault 1m23.385s + 1.484s 17
16. Nico Hulkenberg Sauber-Ferrari 1m23.388s + 1.487s 18
17. Valtteri Bottas Williams-Renault 1m23.660s + 1.759s 16
18. Daniel Ricciardo Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m23.767s + 1.866s 17
19. Charles Pic Caterham-Renault 1m24.775s + 2.874s 18
20. Jules Bianchi Marussia-Cosworth 1m24.793s + 2.892s 16
21. Max Chilton Marussia-Cosworth 1m25.135s + 3.234s 17
22. Giedo van der Garde Caterham-Renault 1m25.250s + 3.349s 18