Spanish rider Marc Marquez will stay in Moto2 next season, ruling out an early move to MotoGP despite his impressive campaign.
The 18-year-old has won seven races in his debut season in Moto2 and is just three points behind Stefan Bradl in the standings after his charge from 38th to third in last weekend's Australian Grand Prix. Marquez's superb season has led to speculation about a possible move to MotoGP next year, but the Spaniard on Thursday confirmed he will compete in Moto2 again in 2012.
"I'm still very young and the option to stay in Moto2 is the best for me," he told Spanish television RTVE. "It's true there have been talks with MotoGP teams and offers from a few satellite teams, but moving up is not the most intelligent thing right now. The best thing is to continue for another year as it was planned and gain as much experience as possible."
The Spaniard, last year's 125cc champion, admitted he was not expecting to be so competitive so quickly.
"The target we set at the start of the season was to grow and improve in Moto2," he said. "What happens is that we have achieved a pretty high level ahead of what we expected, but the decision we can take is to stay where we are for another year, regardless of the results."