Marc Marquez once again emerged fastest from a tight four-way battle for top spot in second MotoGP practice at Misano.
Teammate Dani Pedrosa and the works Yamaha duo of Jorge Lorenzo and Valentino Rossi all enjoyed spells on top until Marquez hit the front just before the midway stage.
As was the case in first practice, the championship leader was then able to improve upon his own time to keep himself planted at the head of the times. It was close, however – Pedrosa's final flyer looked good enough to demote the rookie until the final sector, with just 0.033 second to choose between the Spaniards at the flag.
Rossi shaded Lorenzo by a similar margin in the fight for third, with both men less than three tenths down the road from Marquez. The Honda rider, who has won his last three races at Misano in MotoGP's feeder categories, saved one potential crash with his elbow and also ran wide and through the run-off during the session.
Aleix Espargaro was a surprise fifth on the Aspar CRT machine, just over half a second down.
Alvaro Bautista put his Gresini Honda sixth ahead of Ducati's Michele Pirro - on the satellite Pramac - and Andrea Dovizioso. Stefan Bradl, meanwhile, could only manage ninth on his LCR Honda, his session disrupted by a fall exiting Turn 6.
Cal Crutchlow rounded out the top 10 for Tech 3, just over one second off the ultimate pace.
Pos Rider Bike Time Gap Laps
1. Marc Marquez Honda 1m34.200s 22
2. Dani Pedrosa Honda 1m34.233s +0.033s 20
3. Valentino Rossi Yamaha 1m34.458s +0.258s 23
4. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 1m34.495s +0.295s 19
5. Aleix Espargaro Aspar Aprilia 1m34.732s +0.532s 17
6. Alvaro Bautista Gresini Honda 1m34.858s +0.658s 20
7. Michele Pirro Pramac Ducati 1m34.889s +0.689s 17
8. Andrea Dovizioso Ducati 1m34.901s +0.701s 22
9. Stefan Bradl LCR Honda 1m35.107s +0.907s 20
10. Cal Crutchlow Tech 3 Yamaha 1m35.208s +1.008s 22
11. Andrea Iannone Pramac Ducati 1m35.218s +1.018s 21
12. Nicky Hayden Ducati 1m35.431s +1.231s 21
13. Danilo Petrucci Ioda-Suter-BMW 1m35.933s +1.733s 19
14. Bradley Smith Tech 3 Yamaha 1m36.004s +1.804s 18
15. Claudio Corti Forward FTR-Kawasaki 1m36.122s +1.922s 19
16. Colin Edwards Forward FTR-Kawasaki 1m36.181s +1.981s 19
17. Hector Barbera Avintia FTR-Kawasaki 1m36.253s +2.053s 15
18. Randy de Puniet Aspar Aprilia 1m36.283s +2.083s 17
19. Hiroshi Aoyama Avintia FTR-Kawasaki 1m36.646s +2.446s 14
20. Karel Abraham Cardion Ducati 1m37.310s +3.110s 13
21. Michael Laverty PBM-Aprilia 1m37.334s +3.134s 19
22. Yonny Hernandez PBM Aprilia 1m37.368s +3.168s 13
23. Bryan Staring Gresini FTR-Honda 1m37.722s +3.522s 22
24. Lukas Pesek Ioda-Suter-BMW 1m38.962s +4.762s 19