Marc Marquez continued his Moto2 title charge by taking his sixth pole position of the season on home ground at Aragon.
The reigning 125cc champion dominated the session on his Repsol Suter, leading by nearly a second at one stage, before Aspar Suter's Julian Simon got Marquez's lead down to 0.684 seconds.
The result was Simon's best qualifying position since Estoril in May, but he ended the session with a high-speed crash at the crest on the exit of Turn 13. He escaped without serious injury.
Scott Redding continued his strong Misano form to put his Marc VDS Suter on the final front row spot.
Championship leader Stefan Bradl was edged down to sixth as others improved late on, before salvaging fourth place thanks to a last-lap push. With Marquez having won five of the last six races, Bradl's lead in the standings is down to 23 points.
Bradl will be joined on row two by two ex-MotoGP men in JIR's Alex de Angelis and Pons rider Aleix Espargaro.
Jules Cluzel tailed Marquez on what proved to be his pole lap and took seventh.
Both Espargaro brothers are in the top 10, with Pol starting eighth.
Redding's team-mate Mika Kallio had one of his stronger performances of a tough year and claimed ninth, followed by Speed Master's Andrea Iannone.
Pos Rider Team/Bike Time Gap
1. Marc Marquez Catalunya Suter 1m53.296s
2. Julian Simon Aspar Suter 1m53.980s + 0.684s
3. Scott Redding Marc VDS Suter 1m54.004s + 0.708s
4. Stefan Bradl Kiefer Kalex 1m54.075s + 0.779s
5. Alex de Angelis JIR Motobi 1m54.174s + 0.878s
6. Aleix Espargaro Pons Kalex 1m54.220s + 0.924s
7. Jules Cluzel Forward Suter 1m54.289s + 0.993s
8. Pol Espargaro Speed Up FTR 1m54.358s + 1.062s
9. Mika Kallio Marc VDS Suter 1m54.385s + 1.089s
10. Andrea Iannone Speed Master Suter 1m54.390s + 1.094s
11. Thomas Luthi Interwetten Suter 1m54.413s + 1.117s
12. Simone Corsi Ioda FTR 1m54.518s + 1.222s
13. Michele Pirro Gresini Moriwaki 1m54.574s + 1.278s
14. Yuki Takahashi Gresini Moriwaki 1m54.599s + 1.303s
15. Bradley Smith Tech 3 1m54.619s + 1.323s
16. Claudio Corti Italtrans Suter 1m54.625s + 1.329s
17. Max Neukirchner MZ 1m54.753s + 1.457s
18. Mattia Pasini Ioda FTR 1m54.793s + 1.497s
19. Mike di Meglio Tech 3 1m54.889s + 1.593s
20. Esteve Rabat Blusens FTR 1m54.946s + 1.650s
21. Anthony West MZ 1m55.047s + 1.751s
22. Jordi Torres Aspar Suter 1m55.084s + 1.788s
23. Dominique Aegerter Technomag-CIP Suter 1m55.175s + 1.879s
24. Xavier Simeon Tech 3 1m55.283s + 1.987s
25. Randy Krummenacher Kiefer Kalex 1m55.324s + 2.028s
26. Ricard Cardus QMMF Moriwaki 1m55.395s + 2.099s
27. Alex Baldolini Pons Kalex 1m55.445s + 2.149s
28. Yonny Hernandez Blusens FTR 1m55.560s + 2.264s
29. Raffaele de Rosa Forward Suter 1m55.593s + 2.297s
30. Tomoyoshi Koyama Technomag-CIP Suter 1m55.608s + 2.312s
31. Ratthapark Wilairot SAG FTR 1m55.735s + 2.439s
32. Santiago Hernandez SAG FTR 1m55.867s + 2.571s
33. Valentin Debise Speed Up FTR 1m55.926s + 2.630s
34. Kenny Noyes Avintia FTR 1m55.948s + 2.652s
35. Joan Olive Castello FTR 1m56.613s + 3.317s
36. Sergio Gadea G22 Moriwaki 1m56.636s + 3.340s
37. Robertino Pietri Italtrans Suter 1m56.691s + 3.395s
38. Mashel Al Naimi QMMF Moriwaki 1m57.197s + 3.901s
39. Elena Rosell Aspar Suter 1m58.806s + 5.510s