Marc Marquez followed up his controversial second place in the Jerez Grand Prix by setting the pace in MotoGP testing at the Spanish track.
The Spaniard, who moved into the championship lead following his third straight podium, led the way with a 1m38.824s set early on in the one-day test. That was enough to put him narrowly clear of the chasing pack, led by Tech 3 Yamaha's Cal Crutchlow.
Jorge Lorenzo, who has thus far refused to comment on Marquez's last-corner lunge in the grand prix, took third ahead of race winner Dani Pedrosa. All four men were covered by less than two tenths of a second at the conclusion of running.
Lorenzo's total of 81 laps was comfortably the most any rider managed. As was the case throughout the weekend, Valentino Rossi trailed his works Yamaha stablemate, his best time more than 0.4sec off Lorenzo and 0.5sec off Marquez's outright best.
In contrast to the majority of the field, though, the Italian set his fastest time in the afternoon running. Alvaro Bautista put the Gresini Honda sixth ahead of Andrea Dovizioso and Nicky Hayden, both of whom tested the new Ducati chassis Michele Pirro raced with on Sunday. Neither man found massive improvements, although they were both able to get within nine tenths of Marquez.
LCR Honda's Stefan Bradl and Bradley Smith on the second Tech 3 machine rounded out the top 10 ahead of Avintia's CRT duo Hector Barbera and Hiroshi Aoyama.
Pos Rider Bike Time Gap Laps
1. Marc Marquez Honda 1m38.824s 63
2. Cal Crutchlow Tech 3 Yamaha 1m38.916s + 0.092s 67
3. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 1m38.958s + 0.134s 81
4. Dani Pedrosa Honda 1m38.979s + 0.155s 56
5. Valentino Rossi Yamaha 1m39.397s + 0.573s 61
6. Alvaro Bautista Gresini Honda 1m39.457s + 0.633s 50
7. Andrea Dovizioso Ducati 1m39.524s + 0.700s 47
8. Nicky Hayden Ducati 1m39.643s + 0.819s 35
9. Stefan Bradl LCR Honda 1m39.894s + 1.070s 71
10. Bradley Smith Tech 3 Yamaha 1m40.009s + 1.185s 50
11. Hector Barbera Avintia FTR-Kawasaki 1m40.197s + 1.373s 31
12. Hiroshi Aoyama Avintia FTR-Kawasaki 1m40.730s + 1.906s 51
13. Claudio Corti Forward FTR-Kawasaki 1m40.958s + 2.134s 58
14. Danilo Petrucci Ioda-Suter-BMW 1m41.029s + 2.205s 59
15. Michael Laverty Paul Bird PBM-Aprilia 1m41.045s + 2.221s 58
16. Bryan Staring Gresini FTR-Honda 1m41.181s + 2.357s 46
17. Colin Edwards Forward FTR-Kawasaki 1m41.591s + 2.767s 43
18. Yonny Hernandez Paul Bird Aprilia 1m41.763s + 2.939s 62
19. Lukas Pesek Ioda-Suter-BMW 1m43.017s + 4.193s 20