Marc Marquez set a new weekend benchmark to take control of Saturday morning MotoGP practice at Silverstone.
The Spaniard hit the front early on and, after briefly trading fastest laps with Jorge Lorenzo and Stefan Bradl, settled issues when he got down to a 2m02.485s.
Lorenzo also improved on his sub-lap-record Friday pace to end the session in second, just over one tenth of a second down on Marquez.
He was the only Yamaha man to make the top five, with Valentino Rossi down in sixth and Cal Crutchlow suffering a disastrous, crash-hit session.
The Briton suffered a huge crash in the opening minutes at Maggotts, writing off his Tech 3 bike and prompting a visit to the medical center. He was passed clear to return to action at the halfway point and slowly worked his way back up to speed, only to drop his bike again at Vale as the session ticked into the final minutes.
Dani Pedrosa was also a conspicuous absentee from the top order -– he ended the session 10th overall – but his session was at least devoid of any of Crutchlow's dramas. In his absence it was LCR Honda's Bradl who carried the fight to factory Honda and Yamaha men Marquez and Lorenzo, ending within two tenths of a second of the pair.
Honda had another top four representative in the shape of Gresini's Alvaro Bautista, while Ducati's Andrea Dovizioso beat Rossi to fifth.
Aleix Espargaro once again set the CRT pace, finishing directly ahead of Pedrosa and Bradley Smith in ninth. Smith failed to crack the combined practice top 12 and will have to compete in the first Q1 shootout.
Michael Laverty, the third Briton on the grid, joined Crutchlow in the gravel, with PBM teammate Yonny Hernandez also crashing twice.
Pos Rider Team/Bike Time Gap
1. Marc Marquez Honda 2m02.485s
2. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 2m02.654s +0.169s
3. Stefan Bradl LCR Honda 2m02.673s +0.188s
4. Alvaro Bautista Gresini Honda 2m02.773s +0.288s
5. Andrea Dovizioso Ducati 2m03.213s +0.728s
6. Valentino Rossi Yamaha 2m03.285s +0.800s
7. Nicky Hayden Ducati 2m03.378s +0.893s
8. Cal Crutchlow Tech 3 Yamaha 2m03.403s +0.918s
9. Aleix Espargaro Aspar Aprilia 2m03.464s +0.979s
10. Dani Pedrosa Honda 2m03.581s +1.096s
11. Bradley Smith Tech 3 Yamaha 2m03.892s +1.407s
12. Andrea Iannone Pramac Ducati 2m04.073s +1.588s
13. Colin Edwards Forward FTR-Kawasaki 2m04.542s +2.057s
14. Hector Barbera Avintia FTR-Kawasaki 2m04.620s +2.135s
15. Randy de Puniet Aspar Aprilia 2m04.781s +2.296s
16. Michele Pirro Pramac Ducati 2m05.441s +2.956s
17. Danilo Petrucci Ioda-Suter-BMW 2m05.609s +3.124s
18. Hiroshi Aoyama Avintia FTR-Kawasaki 2m05.844s +3.359s
19. Claudio Corti Forward FTR-Kawasaki 2m05.893s +3.408s
20. Yonny Hernandez PBM Aprilia 2m06.391s +3.906s
21. Michael Laverty PBM-Aprilia 2m06.752s +4.267s
22. Lukas Pesek Ioda-Suter-BMW 2m08.125s +5.640s
23. Bryan Staring Gresini FTR-Honda 2m08.178s +5.693s