Marc Marquez won a battle with Jorge Lorenzo to secure the top spot in Friday morning MotoGP practice at Silverstone.
It took several attempts for championship leader Marquez to overcome the advantage Lorenzo held in the middle of the session.
But eventually he managed to outshine the Yamaha's 2m04.035s benchmark with a 2m03.816s lap on his Honda.
Local hero Cal Crutchlow made an encouraging start to the weekend as he took third, just 0.009 second down on Lorenzo's pace. Two Hondas completed the top five, Marquez's teammate Dani Pedrosa followed by Gresini's Alvaro Bautista.
Valentino Rossi was only sixth, 0.866sec off the pace.
Nicky Hayden was the fastest Ducati in eighth place, one spot ahead of Briton Bradley Smith on the second Tech 3 entry.
Aleix Espargaro again led the CRT runners for Aspar, sitting in the top 10 for a long while before being pushed back to 11th.
Follow the MotoGP weekend as it happens on Race Centre Live
Pos Rider Team/Bike Time Gap
1. Marc Marquez Honda 2m03.816s
2. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 2m04.035s +0.219s
3. Cal Crutchlow Tech 3 Yamaha 2m04.044s +0.228s
4. Dani Pedrosa Honda 2m04.431s +0.615s
5. Alvaro Bautista Gresini Honda 2m04.455s +0.639s
6. Valentino Rossi Yamaha 2m04.682s +0.866s
7. Stefan Bradl LCR Honda 2m04.838s +1.022s
8. Nicky Hayden Ducati 2m04.958s +1.142s
9. Bradley Smith Tech 3 Yamaha 2m05.108s +1.292s
10. Andrea Dovizioso Ducati 2m05.313s +1.497s
11. Aleix Espargaro Aspar Aprilia 2m05.525s +1.709s
12. Andrea Iannone Pramac Ducati 2m05.708s +1.892s
13. Hector Barbera Avintia FTR-Kawasaki 2m06.150s +2.334s
14. Randy de Puniet Aspar Aprilia 2m06.262s +2.446s
15. Colin Edwards Forward FTR-Kawasaki 2m06.305s +2.489s
16. Michele Pirro Pramac Ducati 2m06.319s +2.503s
17. Hiroshi Aoyama Avintia FTR-Kawasaki 2m06.691s +2.875s
18. Yonny Hernandez PBM Aprilia 2m06.796s +2.980s
19. Danilo Petrucci Ioda-Suter-BMW 2m07.100s +3.284s
20. Claudio Corti Forward FTR-Kawasaki 2m07.361s +3.545s
21. Michael Laverty PBM-Aprilia 2m07.525s +3.709s
22. Bryan Staring Gresini FTR-Honda 2m08.631s +4.815s
23. Lukas Pesek Ioda-Suter-BMW 2m11.036s +7.220s