Marco Wittmann grabbed pole position for the Macau Grand Prix with a stunning late effort in qualifying on Friday. The German, who had been quickest in the morning practice session, was locked in a major battle with Robert Merhi throughout the 30-minute fight for grid positions.
Merhi appeared to have stolen the top spot in the closing stages, but Wittmann saved his best for last to steal pole position by just 0.064sec.
Antonio Felix da Costa bounced back from an accident in the morning's practice session to grab third place, but he will start on the front row because Merhi will be moved back seven places for having caused a crash in first qualifying.
Valtteri Bottas proved that his late arrival into Macau, following his Formula 1 test for Williams this week, had not affected him as he secured fourth overall on the time sheets and will start third.
Alexander Sims also recovered from a crash in the morning practice to deliver the fifth quickest time – ahead of Felipe Nasr, who had been fighting right at the front of the field for much of the session but crashed later on.
The session passed without a red flag, although Daniel Abt ran wide into the barriers at Police before being hit from behind by Richard Bradley.
Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap
1. Marco Wittmann Signature Dallara-VW 2m12.790
2. Roberto Merhi Prema Dallara-Merc 2m12.854 + 0.064s
3. Antonio Felix da Costa Hitech Dallara-VW 2m13.115 + 0.325s
4. Valtteri Bottas Double R Dallara-Merc 2m13.192 + 0.402s
5. Alexander Sims TOM'S Dallara-Toyota 2m13.407 + 0.617s
6. Felipe Nasr Carlin Dallara-VW 2m13.429 + 0.639s
7. Kevin Magnussen Carlin Dallara-VW 2m13.518 + 0.728s
8. Felix Rosenqvist Mucke Dallara-Merc 2m13.528 + 0.738s
9. Carlos Huertas Carlin Dallara-VW 2m13.704 + 0.914s
10. Yuhi Sekiguchi Mucke Dallara-Merc 2m13.850 + 1.060s
11. Laurens Vanthoor Signature Dallara-VW 2m13.973 + 1.183s
12. Marko Asmer Double R Dallara-Merc 2m14.011 + 1.221s
13. Carlos Munoz Signature Dallara-VW 2m14.020 + 1.230s
14. Daniel Juncadella Prema Dallara-Merc 2m14.064 + 1.274s
15. Kimiya Sato Motopark Dallara-VW 2m14.246 + 1.456s
16. Pietro Fantin Hitech Dallara-VW 2m14.415 + 1.625s
17. Jazeman Jaafar Carlin Dallara-VW 2m14.477 + 1.687s
18. Carlos Sainz Jr Signature Dallara-VW 2m14.511 + 1.721s
19. Daniel Abt Signature Dallara-VW 2m14.513 + 1.723s
20. Hannes van Asseldonk Hitech Dallara-VW 2m14.591 + 1.801s
21. Richie Stanaway Van Amersfoort Dallara-VW 2m14.625 + 1.835s
22. William Buller Fortec Dallara-Merc 2m14.649 + 1.859s
23. Hideki Yamauchi Toda Dallara-Honda 2m14.863 + 2.073s
24. Hywel Lloyd Sino Vision Dallara-Merc 2m15.022 + 2.232s
25. Lucas Foresti Fortec Dallara-Merc 2m15.061 + 2.271s
26. Richard Bradley TOM'S Dallara-Toyota 2m15.855 + 3.065s
27. Adderly Fong Sino Vision Dallara-Merc 2m16.666 + 3.876s
28. Hironobu Yasuda Three Bond Dallara-Nissan 2m22.302 + 9.512s
29. Jimmy Eriksson Motopark Dallara-VW 2m55.360s + 42.570s