Kevin Magnussen led the way in Formula Renault 3.5 free practice at Barcelona on Friday ahead of this weekend's season finale.
The Carlin driver went to the top of the times inside the final two minutes during an exciting end to the afternoon session. The flurry of action was caused by a late red flag that cost teams seven minutes of the final quarter of an hour.
When the session restarted everyone headed out on track and the lap times tumbled. Title contenders Sam Bird and Jules Bianchi were the first to depose Kevin Korjus at the top after the stoppage, but Magnussen was not far behind to better them.
The Dane went quicker again on his following lap, which was enough to keep him out of reach as Korjus responded to take second place for Tech 1. The Estonian then set the fastest time through the first sector on his final lap, but decided to abort the effort and head for the pits.
ISR driver Bird's efforts over his final laps were enough to take third, while Alexander Rossi and Will Stevens knocked Bianchi down another couple of places.
The final improvement towards the top of the times came from championship leader Bianchi's closest rival in the points race, as Robin Frijns demoted him from sixth to seventh.
Series returnee Tamas Pal Kiss was strong throughout the session on his way to eighth for BVM Target, while the top 10 was completed by Russians Mikhail Aleshin and Daniil Move.
The afternoon session gave the drivers some valuable laps on a relatively dry track, after the morning running had been affected by heavy rain.
Red Bull junior Antonio Felix da Costa had led the way in the wet, with championship outsider Bird close behind, and Frijns again just ahead of Bianchi further down the top 10.
Practice one times:
Pos Driver Team Time Gap
1. Antonio Felix da Costa Arden Caterham 1m51.961s
2. Sam Bird ISR 1m52.178s + 0.217s
3. Nico Muller Draco 1m52.500s + 0.539s
4. Will Stevens Carlin 1m52.608s + 0.647s
5. Arthur Pic DAMS 1m52.646s + 0.685s
6. Kevin Magnussen Carlin 1m52.811s + 0.850s
7. Robin Frijns Fortec 1m53.080s + 1.119s
8. Jules Bianchi Tech 1 1m53.097s + 1.136s
9. Marco Sorensen Lotus 1m53.114s + 1.153s
10. Jake Rosenzweig ISR 1m53.216s + 1.255s
11. Alexander Rossi Arden Caterham 1m53.258s + 1.297s
12. Vittorio Ghirelli Comtec 1m53.279s + 1.318s
13. Andre Negrao Draco 1m53.517s + 1.556s
14. Aaro Vainio RFR 1m53.619s + 1.658s
15. Walter Grubmuller P1 1m53.756s + 1.795s
16. Mikhail Aleshin RFR 1m54.135s + 2.174s
17. Daniil Move P1 1m54.153s + 2.192s
18. Lucas Foresti DAMS 1m54.319s + 2.358s
19. Tamas Pal Kiss BVM Target 1m54.395s + 2.434s
20. Kevin Korjus Lotus 1m54.397s + 2.436s
21. Daniel Abt Tech 1 1m54.401s + 2.440s
22. Nick Yelloly Comtec 1m54.931s + 2.970s
23. Yann Cunha Pons 1m54.989s + 3.028s
24. Carlos Huertas Fortec 1m55.723s + 3.762s
25. Zoel Amberg Pons 1m55.792s + 3.831s
26. Nikolay Martsenko BVM Target 1m56.069s + 4.108s
Practice two times:
Pos Driver Team Time Gap
1. Kevin Magnussen Carlin 1m30.736s
2. Kevin Korjus Lotus 1m30.851s + 0.115s
3. Sam Bird ISR 1m30.997s + 0.261s
4. Alexander Rossi Arden Caterham 1m31.019s + 0.283s
5. Will Stevens Carlin 1m31.062s + 0.326s
6. Robin Frijns Fortec 1m31.226s + 0.490s
7. Jules Bianchi Tech 1 1m31.238s + 0.502s
8. Tamas Pal Kiss BVM Target 1m31.247s + 0.511s
9. Mikhail Aleshin RFR 1m31.424s + 0.688s
10. Daniil Move P1 1m31.456s + 0.720s
11. Antonio Felix da Costa Arden Caterham 1m31.481s + 0.745s
12. Marco Sorensen Lotus 1m31.518s + 0.782s
13. Daniel Abt Tech 1 1m31.569s + 0.833s
14. Nico Muller Draco 1m31.591s + 0.855s
15. Arthur Pic DAMS 1m31.694s + 0.958s
16. Aaro Vainio RFR 1m31.733s + 0.997s
17. Walter Grubmuller P1 1m31.862s + 1.126s
18. Nick Yelloly Comtec 1m31.907s + 1.171s
19. Andre Negrao Draco 1m32.022s + 1.286s
20. Vittorio Ghirelli Comtec 1m32.052s + 1.316s
21. Yann Cunha Pons 1m32.404s + 1.668s
22. Nikolay Martsenko BVM Target 1m32.434s + 1.698s
23. Lucas Foresti DAMS 1m32.482s + 1.746s
24. Jake Rosenzweig ISR 1m33.527s + 2.791s
25. Zoel Amberg Pons 1m33.543s + 2.807s
26. Carlos Huertas Fortec 1m33.804s + 3.068s