Kevin Magnussen will sit out the start of Formula Renault 3.5 testing this week in the wake of his massive crash in the Macau Formula 3 Grand Prix.
The Dane has already secured a Carlin FR3.5 seat for 2012, but was eligible to take part in today's "champions test" at Aragon as a reward for finishing as runner-up to Felipe Nasr in the British F3 title race.
Magnussen felt he was lucky to survive his Macau crash, in which his car was launched into the catch-fencing after hitting Will Buller's car. It was initially thought that Magnussen had escaped with just bruising, but he was subsequently diagnosed with a light concussion after suffering headaches following the shunt, so has been advised to sit out today's test. His fellow 2011 Carlin F3 driver Jazeman Jaafar will take his place.
Team boss Trevor Carlin said Magnussen would not lose out from missing the test day as he had already gone well in his initial FR3.5 runs. He is expected to be back in the car on Wednesday, and had not been scheduled to run tomorrow.
"The most sensible thing for Kevin to do today is to get some rest," said Carlin. "He suffered a big impact in Macau, and while medical checks have shown there are no serious problems, it is much better to err on the side of caution and to sit out today's running.
"Kevin has already proven that he is a frontrunner in testing and has adapted very well to the FR3.5 car, so missing the first day of testing won't harm his program."