Kevin Magnussen bounced back from the controversy surrounding his exclusion from the first Formula Renault 3.5 race at Paul Ricard by taking pole position for race two.
The McLaren junior driver, who had his Saturday victory taken away due to his DRS flap not conforming to the regulations, took control of the second qualifying session early on and was able to respond every time someone threatened his position.
Nigel Melker and Marco Sorensen were the only drivers to depose him briefly, and each time his next lap was strong enough to retake pole. While Sorensen did enough to hang on to second place, Melker slipped behind Nico Muller and Antonio Felix da Costa to leave him fifth on the grid.
Sixth place appeared set to go to Magnussen's title rival Stoffel Vandoorne, but he was bumped down another place when the Dane's DAMS team-mate Norman Nato took sixth as the checkered flag fell.
Likely Sauber 2014 Formula 1 driver Sergey Sirotkin took part in his first session of the weekend after missing all of the action up to this point due to his F1 demo run in Russia on Friday. The teenager will start 21st for the race.
Pos Driver Team Time Gap
1. Kevin Magnussen DAMS 1m48.042s
2. Marco Sorensen Lotus 1m48.351s +0.309s
3. Nico Muller Draco 1m48.423s +0.381s
4. Antonio Felix da Costa Arden Caterham 1m48.501s +0.459s
5. Nigel Melker Tech 1 1m48.524s +0.482s
6. Norman Nato DAMS 1m48.620s +0.578s
7. Stoffel Vandoorne Fortec 1m48.638s +0.596s
8. Will Buller Zeta 1m48.767s +0.725s
9. Arthur Pic AV 1m48.834s +0.792s
10. Marlon Stockinger Lotus 1m48.956s +0.914s
11. Will Stevens P1/Strakka 1m48.968s +0.926s
12. Mikhail Aleshin Tech 1 1m49.004s +0.962s
13. Nikolay Martsenko Pons 1m49.017s +0.975s
14. Andre Negrao Draco 1m49.047s +1.005s
15. Zoel Amberg Pons 1m49.075s +1.033s
16. Matias Laine P1/Strakka 1m49.112s +1.070s
17. Lucas Foresti SMP/Comtec 1m49.192s +1.150s
18. Christopher Zanella ISR 1m49.269s +1.227s
19. Jazeman Jaafar Carlin 1m49.299s +1.257s
20. Pietro Fantin Arden Caterham 1m49.368s +1.326s
21. Sergey Sirotkin ISR 1m49.411s +1.369s
22. Daniil Move SMP/Comtec 1m49.486s +1.444s
23. Carlos Sainz Jr Zeta 1m49.505s +1.463s
24. Carlos Huertas Carlin 1m49.547s +1.505s
25. Oliver Webb Fortec 1m49.823s +1.781s
26. Yann Cunha AV 1m50.147s +2.105s