Lotus is hoping to sit down with Mercedes and the FIA ahead of the Australian Grand Prix to try and end the controversy over its rival's DRS-activated F-duct.
The former Renault team had already joined representatives from Red Bull Racing in lobbying the FIA to ban the Mercedes rear wing design early on Saturday, but its efforts were not successful. Although reports that Lotus was going to lodge a protest after qualifying in Melbourne proved wide of the mark, Boullier has said that his squad is continuing to monitor the situation closely. He is hoping to get together with both Mercedes and the FIA's head of technical department Charlie Whiting to try and get a better understanding of the situation.
"We would like to sit down with Mercedes and Charlie and make sure we all understand the regulations in the same way," he said. "If possible we would like to do it this weekend, so let's see."
When asked about the possibility of a protest, Boullier said: "A protest is obviously an option, but we will see that later. All I can say is that Red Bull and ourselves do not believe the Mercedes system is legal."
While Lotus and Red Bull Racing think the Mercedes rear wing does not comply with the rules, McLaren has the opposite view, and thinks teams will have to copy the concept.
"Regarding the DRS-activated F-duct controversy, we are looking at some of those ideas," he said. "There are some interesting things and one would imagine that they will feature on cars as the year progresses."
When asked if he thought the Mercedes system was legal, Whitmarsh said: "I do, yes. There is an exception for the DRS mechanism and I think it is part of that. They have used that exception to operate an F-duct type device. Looking at the regulations, that is what I think – but I am sure others will take a deeper look than I have."