MotoGP world champion Jorge Lorenzo set the pace on the opening day of post-season testing at the Valencia circuit on Tuesday.
The Yamaha rider, sporting the No. 1 on his bike for the first time, went nearly a second quicker than his closest rival, who was his own new teammate Ben Spies. Lorenzo tested the new M1 bike and completed 38 laps of the Ricardo Tormo circuit.
"Today we tried the new chassis on the 2011 M1 which felt good, although it is still to early to say too much about it," he said. "We also tried the new Ohlins suspension which felt better to me on the track. The new engine seems to have less wheelie but we will see more tomorrow in the next session."
American Spies had a very positive first day as works rider, managing 42 laps on his way to second place.
"For the first day of testing I'm super happy with the team, a lot of things are new including obviously riding the prototype bike," said Spies. "There are a lot of subtle changes from last year so I spent some time getting used to it along with working with a new Japanese engineer who is very, very good.
"I had a couple of new mechanics who were learning the ropes as well, so it was a lot of learning today. I'm really happy – I can feel the potential of the bike and I think there's quite a bit more to come."
Andrea Dovizioso was third fastest and the quickest of the Honda riders, finishing ahead of Casey Stoner, who made his debut with he Japanese squad after leaving Ducati. The Australian outpaced teammate Dani Pedrosa, who completed the top five from Colin Edwards and Marco Simoncelli.
Valentino Rossi caught the attention of the Spanish circuit when he jumped onto the track for the first time with the Ducati, the Italian riding a black bike with the usual No. 46 on it.
Rossi finished down in eighth position, with teammate Nicky Hayden in ninth and Hector Barbera completing the top 10.
The test continues tomorrow.
Pos Rider Team Time Laps
1. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha Factory Racing 1:32.012 38
2. Ben Spies Yamaha Factory Racing 1:32.878 + 0.866 42
3. Andrea Dovizioso Repsol Honda Team 1:33.190 + 1.178 35
4. Casey Stoner HRC 1:33.261 + 1.249 27
5. Dani Pedrosa Repsol Honda Team 1:33.336 + 1.324 26
6. Colin Edwards Monster Yamaha Tech 3 1:33.513 + 1.501 49
7. Marco Simoncelli San Carlo Honda Gresini 1:33.578 + 1.566 39
8. Valentino Rossi Ducati Team 1:33.882 + 1.870 46
9. Alvaro Bautista Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 1:33.921 + 1.909 39
10. Nicky Hayden Ducati Team 1:33.998 + 1.986 35
11. Hector Barbera Paginas Amarillas Aspar 1:34.110 + 2.098 54
12. Randy De Puniet Pramac Racing Team 1:34.142 + 2.130 45
13. Hiroshi Aoyama San Carlo Honda Gresini 1:34.181 + 2.169 49
14. Loris Capirossi Pramac Racing Team 1:34.631 + 2.619 53
15. Cal Crutchlow Monster Yamaha Tech 3 1:34.924 + 2.912 40
16. Toni Elias LCR Honda MotoGP 1:35.808 + 3.796 45
17. Karel Abraham Cardion AB Motoracing 1:37.434 + 5.422 30