Jorge Lorenzo picked off where he left off as he set the fastest time of the day in MotoGP's official test at Mugello. The Spaniard, quickest almost without exception across the Italian Grand Prix weekend, ended the day with a 1m47.435s.
He was not joined by teammate Ben Spies, who missed the test due to the bout of food poisoning which also affected his form in Sunday's race. Lorenzo was easily able to complete Yamaha's modest test program, aimed at finding small electronic improvements, and wrapped his testing duties up early.
That workload was in stark contrast to Honda, which brought a brand-new bike – originally intended to be its 2013 MotoGP chassis – in an attempt to rectify its current tire issues. Dani Pedrosa, second to Lorenzo on Sunday, repeated the trick at the day's end, edging out teammate Casey Stoner by just two thousandths of a second.
Ducati meanwhile spent the day trialling engine modifications in an effort to improve drive and traction out of corners. Nicky Hayden ended the day fourth fastest, but there was less positive news for Valentino Rossi, who fell one lap into the afternoon's running. Though he was unhurt, ECU issues prevented him from any further running.
The Italian's fall was one of three in the afternoon, with Pedrosa and LCR Honda's Stefan Bradl also down, although all three were unhurt.
Bradl, testing a variety of different parts, set the seventh-fastest time, narrowly behind the Tech 3 duo of Cal Crutchlow and Andrea Dovizioso.
Of the CRT teams which did stay for the test, Forward Racing tested several different chassis against the Suter-BMW they currently use. Avintia also had a new FTR chassis to get to grips with.
Pos Rider Team/Bike Time
1. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 1m47.435s
2. Daniel Pedrosa Honda 1m47.549s
3. Casey Stoner Honda 1m47.551s
4. Nicky Hayden Ducati 1m47.746s
5. Cal Crutchlow Tech 3 Yamaha 1m47.750s
6. Andrea Dovizioso Tech 3 Yamaha 1m47.775s
7. Stefan Bradl LCR Honda 1m48.060s
8. Hector Barbera Pramac Ducati 1m48.084s
9. Alvaro Bautista Gresini Honda 1m48.530s
10. Valentino Rossi Ducati 1m48.565s
11. Aleix Espargaro Aspar Aprilia 1m49.148s
12. Yonny Hernandez Avintia FTR-Kawasaki 1m49.547s
13. Randy de Puniet Aspar Aprilia 1m50.211s
14. Michele Pirro Gresini FTR-Honda 1m50.516s
15. Franco Battaini Ducati 1m50.934s
16. Colin Edwards Forward (Various) 1m51.273s
17. Ivan Silva Avintia FTR-Kawasaki 1m51.997s