Jorge Lorenzo has shown he is fit enough today by topping the final free MotoGP practice session at the Sachsenring.
The Spaniard, who had a massive high-side two weeks ago at Laguna Seca, said he was disappointed with his fitness yesterday after setting only the 11th-fastest time. But it was a different story today, with the Yamaha rider running more laps (35) than anyone else and dominating the last 15 minutes of the hour-long session. In the end he was the only man breaking the 1m22 barrier thanks to a 1m21.882s lap. That was almost four tenths quicker than second-best Casey Stoner (Ducati), who by contrast ran less than anyone else for a total of 22 laps.
USGP winner Dani Pedrosa was third quickest with his Honda, half a tenth behind the Australian rival, thanks to a late lap achieved with the time already expired. That lap pushed Ducati's Nicky Hayden down to fourth and Yamaha's Valentino Rossi in fifth, after the championship leader battled for top spot for most of the session.
Marco Melandri ended an impressive sixth with his Hayate Kawasaki, ahead of Randy de Puniet (LCR Honda) and Mika Kallio (Pramac Ducati). Gresini Honda's Alex de Angelis and Suzuki's Loris Capirossi complete the top ten.TIMES:
Pos Rider Bike Time
1. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 1m21.882s
2. Casey Stoner Ducati 1m22.258s + 0.376s
3. Daniel Pedrosa Honda 1m22.311s + 0.429s
4. Nicky Hayden Ducati 1m22.340s + 0.458s
5. Valentino Rossi Yamaha 1m22.357s + 0.475s
6. Marco Melandri Kawasaki 1m22.441s + 0.559s
7. Randy de Puniet Honda 1m22.721s + 0.839s
8. Mika Kallio Ducati 1m22.738s + 0.856s
9. Alex de Angelis Honda 1m22.892s + 1.010s
10. Loris Capirossi Suzuki 1m22.899s + 1.017s
11. Colin Edwards Yamaha 1m23.041s + 1.159s
12. Andrea Dovizioso Honda 1m23.205s + 1.323s
13. Toni Elias Honda 1m23.374s + 1.492s
14. James Toseland Yamaha 1m23.655s + 1.773s
15. Niccolo Canepa Ducati 1m23.897s + 2.015s
16. Gabor Talmacsi Honda 1m24.579s + 2.697s
17. Chris Vermeulen Suzuki 1m24.718s + 2.836s