Jorge Lorenzo ended Casey Stoner's run of fastest times in the final MotoGP free practice session in Qatar.
Reigning champion Stoner – who had been quickest for Honda in practice one and two – led most of the Friday night session as well, but was pushed back to third in a flurry of late fast times.
Lorenzo put in a 1m55.536s on his Yamaha to depose Stoner's early 1m55.674s going into the final minutes. The Spaniard was almost immediately beaten by Tech 3's Cal Crutchlow, who has looked rapid throughout practice, but on his next lap Lorenzo regained the top spot by 0.154sec over the satellite Yamaha man.
Stoner never managed to improve on his time from the early runs, and lost time behind Alvaro Bautista's Gresini Honda on his final flying lap.
Both Tech 3 Yamahas were near the front, as Andrea Dovizioso backed up Crutchlow's strong form in fourth. But it was a bad night for the second works Yamaha rider Ben Spies, who crashed early on and was only 11th in the times, having completely few laps even after rejoining. Dani Pedrosa was 0.812sec off the pace in fifth on the second factory Honda.
Pramac's Hector Barbera was again quickest Ducati, beating works riders Nicky Hayden and Valentino Rossi to sixth.
Randy de Puniet returned to the top of the unofficial CRT class, despite crashing his Aspar Aprilia late on. The Frenchman limped away from the scene.
Pos Rider Team/Bike Time Gap
1. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 1m55.302s
2. Cal Crutchlow Tech 3 Yamaha 1m55.456s + 0.154s
3. Casey Stoner Honda 1m55.674s + 0.372s
4. Andrea Dovizioso Tech 3 Yamaha 1m55.905s + 0.603s
5. Dani Pedrosa Honda 1m56.114s + 0.812s
6. Hector Barbera Pramac Ducati 1m56.163s + 0.861s
7. Nicky Hayden Ducati 1m56.402s + 1.100s
8. Valentino Rossi Ducati 1m56.535s + 1.233s
9. Stefan Bradl LCR Honda 1m56.751s + 1.449s
10. Alvaro Bautista Gresini Honda 1m56.771s + 1.469s
11. Ben Spies Yamaha 1m57.030s + 1.728s
12. Karel Abraham Cardion Ducati 1m57.223s + 1.921s
13. Randy de Puniet Aspar Aprilia 1m58.261s + 2.959s
14. Colin Edwards Forward Suter-BMW 1m58.310s + 3.008s
15. Michele Pirro Gresini FTR-Honda 1m58.800s + 3.498s
16. Yonny Hernandez Avintia FTR-Kawasaki 1m59.087s + 3.785s
17. Aleix Espargaro Aspar Aprilia 1m59.169s + 3.867s
18. Danilo Petrucci Ioda-Aprilia 1m59.517s + 4.215s
19. Ivan Silva Avintia FTR-Kawasaki 2m00.035s + 4.733s
20. Mattia Pasini Speed Master Aprilia 2m00.226s + 4.924s
21. James Ellison Paul Bird Aprilia 2m00.563s + 5.261s