Jorge Lorenzo and Casey Stoner's Laguna Seca battle continued in the race morning warm-up, as the Yamaha rider came out narrowly ahead of the Ducati man.
Having beaten Stoner to pole yesterday, Lorenzo pipped his rival by just 0.052 seconds with his 1m21.857s lap this morning.
Dani Pedrosa was third for Honda, with Valentino Rossi moving up to fourth on the second Yamaha and front row starter Andrea Dovizioso (Honda) back in eighth.
Marco Melandri showed his best form of the weekend so far to take fifth for Gresini Honda, but his teammate Marco Simoncelli had the only crash of the session – falling without injury at Turn 8.
American trio Ben Spies, Nicky Hayden and Colin Edwards kept themselves in top-10 contention as they took sixth, seventh and ninth places respectively.
Pos Rider Team Time Gap
1. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 1m21.857s
2. Casey Stoner Ducati 1m21.909s + 0.052s
3. Daniel Pedrosa Honda 1m22.183s + 0.326s
4. Valentino Rossi Yamaha 1m22.432s + 0.575s
5. Marco Melandri Gresini Honda 1m22.731s + 0.874s
6. Ben Spies Tech 3 Yamaha 1m22.830s + 0.973s
7. Nicky Hayden Ducati 1m22.874s + 1.017s
8. Andrea Dovizioso Honda 1m23.045s + 1.188s
9. Colin Edwards Tech 3 Yamaha 1m23.272s + 1.415s
10. Loris Capirossi Suzuki 1m23.438s + 1.581s
11. Aleix Espargaro Pramac Ducati 1m23.511s + 1.654s
12. Marco Simoncelli Gresini Honda 1m23.542s + 1.685s
13. Alvaro Bautista Suzuki 1m23.683s + 1.826s
14. Hector Barbera Aspar Ducati 1m23.890s + 2.033s
15. Alex de Angelis Interwetten Honda 1m23.930s + 2.073s
16. Roger Lee Hayden LCR Honda 1m24.597s + 2.740s
17. Mika Kallio Pramac Ducati 1m24.799s + 2.942s