MotoGP champion Jorge Lorenzo moved to the top of the times in second practice for the final race of the MotoGP championship at the Valencia circuit.
On an impressive final lap and with the clock already at zero, the Yamaha rider set the quickest time of the day with a 1m32.690sec, outpacing Casey Stoner. The Ducati rider, quickest in the morning, looked set to finish on top again until Lorenzo's final flying lap, which was just a tenth of a second shy of the track record owned by Stoner since 2008.
Stoner, who was unable to improve on his time from the morning, finished over three tenths behind the Spaniard.
American Colin Edwards was fourth quickest on the Tech 3 Yamaha, while Gresini Honda's Marco Simoncelli enjoyed another strong outing after having posted the fourth quickest time in the morning, the Italian finishing the afternoon session in the same position.
Works Honda rider Andrea Dovizioso completed the top five as teammate and local hero Dani Pedrosa had another subdued session, the Honda rider – the only man to have won at Valencia in all categories – finishing down in 12th.
The session saw a few more incidents that in the opening 45 minutes, with a few drivers going off track, the most notable with Marco Melandri as protagonist, the Italian going off at Turn 14 and stopping his bike right before hitting the tire barriers.
Pos Rider Time Laps
1. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 1m32.690s 24
2. Casey Stoner Ducati 1m33.004s + 0.314 16
3. Colin Edwards Tech 3 Yamaha 1m33.466s + 0.776 23
4. Marco Simoncelli Gresini Honda 1m33.468s + 0.778 22
5. Andrea Dovizioso Honda 1m33.470s + 0.780 22
6. Ben Spies Tech 3 Yamaha 1m33.528s + 0.838 25
7. Randy De Puniet LCR Honda 1m33.535s + 0.845 21
8. Marco Melandri Gresini Honda 1m33.568s + 0.878 24
9. Valentino Rossi Yamaha 1m33.661s + 0.971 21
10. Nicky Hayden Ducati 1m33.684s + 0.994 22
11. Hector Barbera Aspar Ducati 1m33.782s + 1.092 23
12. Dani Pedrosa Honda 1m33.927s + 1.237 21
13. Aleix Espargaro Pramac Ducati 1m33.954s + 1.264 22
14. Hiroshi Aoyama Interwetten Honda 1m34.154s + 1.464 20
15. Loris Capirossi Suzuki 1m34.248s + 1.558 22
16. Alvaro Bautista Suzuki 1m34.296s + 1.606 25
17. Carlos Checa Pramac Ducati 1m34.636s + 1.946 21