Jorge Lorenzo put Yamaha to the top in a very close final practice session at the Sachsenring.
Just 0.047 seconds separated the world champion, Honda's Dani Pedrosa, and Gresini Honda rider and Friday pacesetter Marco Simoncelli at the top of the times.
Simoncelli had been quickest early on, before being pipped by Pedrosa. Moments later, Simoncelli become the latest rider to crash at Turn 11, though he was able to rejoin on his spare bike by the end. Pedrosa hung on in front until the closing minutes, when Lorenzo produced a 1m22.112s to take the top spot.
Championship leader Casey Stoner (Honda) was fourth, 0.2s off the pace, and just ahead of team-mate Andrea Dovizioso.
Nicky Hayden was top Ducati in sixth, with team-mate Valentino Rossi struggling again in 12th.
The session's other crashes were minor falls for Colin Edwards (Tech 3 Yamaha) and Karel Abraham (Cardion Ducati).
Pos Rider Team/Bike Time Gap
1. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 1m22.112s
2. Dani Pedrosa Honda 1m22.153s + 0.041s
3. Marco Simoncelli Gresini Honda 1m22.159s + 0.047s
4. Casey Stoner Honda 1m22.386s + 0.274s
5. Andrea Dovizioso Honda 1m22.441s + 0.329s
6. Nicky Hayden Ducati 1m22.500s + 0.388s
7. Alvaro Bautista Suzuki 1m22.594s + 0.482s
8. Ben Spies Yamaha 1m22.772s + 0.660s
9. Randy de Puniet Pramac Ducati 1m22.841s + 0.729s
10. Colin Edwards Tech 3 Yamaha 1m23.118s + 1.006s
11. Karel Abraham Cardion Ducati 1m23.268s + 1.156s
12. Valentino Rossi Ducati 1m23.279s + 1.167s
13. Cal Crutchlow Tech 3 Yamaha 1m23.296s + 1.184s
14. Hiroshi Aoyama Gresini Honda 1m23.362s + 1.250s
15. Hector Barbera Aspar Ducati 1m23.393s + 1.281s
16. Toni Elias LCR Honda 1m24.246s + 2.134s
17. Sylvain Guintoli Pramac Ducati 1m25.975s + 3.863s