Jorge Lorenzo edged Yamaha teammate Ben Spies to go fastest in MotoGP's second in-season test at Aragon, although both riders were boosted by Honda's decision not to attend.
The test had originally been scheduled to follow the third round of the season at Estoril, but was canceled due to bad weather and rescheduled to follow the two-day test immediately after the Catalunya Grand Prix.
Honda had already declared it only wanted to trial Bridgestone's new compound during testing. The team was able to do sufficiently at Barcelona, and therefore elected to skip the Aragon test. Yamaha dominated as a result, sweeping the top four positions, with the two works bikes ahead of the satellite Tech 3 entries.
Lorenzo, again trialling new engine specifications and electronics, went fastest late in the session with a 1m49.187s. That put him just over a quarter of a second clear of Spies, and exactly half a second ahead of Tech 3's Cal Crutchlow.
The Briton enjoyed a successful test, trialling components he was not able to following his high-speed crash at Catalunya and ending the day 0.2s clear of Tech 3 teammate Andrea Dovizioso. Hector Barbera (Pramac Ducati) was the fastest non-Yamaha rider in fifth, having spent the day evaluating new electronics.
Works riders Nicky Hayden and Valentino Rossi finished sixth and eighth respectively, split by the fastest Honda, the Gresini of Alvaro Bautista.
As expected neither Hayden nor Rossi tested Ducati's new aluminium swingarm, which Rossi dropped halfway through the Catalunya Grand Prix weekend.
LCR Honda's Stefan Bradl and the Cardion Ducati of Karel Abraham rounded out the top 10 ahead of the lead CRT of Michele Pirro (Gresini).
Avintia and Forward were the only other CRT teams to attend. Forward's Colin Edwards ended 13th fastest, splitting Yonny Hernandez (12th) and Ivan Silva (14th), the latter of whom damaged the part-carbon Inmotec chassis he was testing with a crash.
Pos Rider Bike Time Laps
1. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 1m49.187s 59
2. Ben Spies Yamaha 1m49.442s + 0.255 57
3. Cal Crutchlow Yamaha Tech 3 1m49.687s + 0.500 67
4. Andrea Dovizioso Yamaha Tech 3 1m49.887s + 0.700 54
5. Hector Barbera Pramac Racing 1m50.196s + 1.009 64
6. Nicky Hayden Ducati 1m50.204s + 1.017 66
7. Alvaro Bautista Honda Gresini 1m50.294s + 1.107 56
8. Valentino Rossi Ducati 1m50.369s + 1.182 78
9. Stefan Bradl LCR Honda 1m51.146s + 1.959 72
10. Karel Abraham AB Motoracing 1m51.977s + 2.790 19
11. Michele Pirro Honda Gresini 1m52.452s + 3.265 51
12. Yonny Hernandez Avintia Racing 1m52.502s + 3.315 64
13. Colin Edwards Forward Racing 1m52.589s + 3.402 53
14. Ivan Silva Avintia Racing 1m53.929s + 4.742 69