Jorge Lorenzo set the pace for Yamaha at a Barcelona test in which Suzuki made an impressive return to the MotoGP fold.
Lorenzo, who triumphed at the Spanish track on Sunday, moved to the top of the times with a 1m41.904s – more than one second down on Dani Pedrosa's record pole time – two hours from the end.
Even as he did so most eyes were focused on Suzuki's new MotoGP challenger, codenamed the XRH-1 (BELOW), as it made its first appearance alongside the 2013 field. Test rider Randy de Puniet improved throughout the day and in the final hour moved to a 1m42.676s, less than eight tenths of a second down on Lorenzo.
The Frenchman, also one of the day's busiest riders with 73 laps, was faster than the satellite machines of Andrea Iannone and Bradley Smith, although the latter left the test early to have surgery on his injured left hand.
Ducati's Nicky Hayden came close to denying Lorenzo top spot late on but eventually had to settle for second, five hundredths of a second down. The American spent some time trying a new rear compound developed by Bridgestone.
His late improvement demoted Stefan Bradl, the only Honda rider present at the test, to third. Bradl will travel to Aragon, where factory riders Pedrosa and Marc Marquez are due to test on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Andrea Dovizioso edged out his old Tech 3 stablemate Cal Crutchlow in the fight for fourth, while behind them Valentino Rossi went sixth fastest, 0.609sec down on Lorenzo. The Italian brought the red flags when he crashed in the afternoon, but he was unhurt and able to resume shortly after.
Aspar Aprilia rider Pol Espargaro was the fastest CRT rider, edging out de Puniet – his 2013 teammate – to claim seventh.
Pos Rider Team/Bike Time Gap Laps
1. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 1m41.904s 54
2. Nicky Hayden Ducati 1m41.955s + 0.051s 73
3. Stefan Bradl LCR Honda 1m42.227s + 0.323s 31
4. Andrea Dovizioso Ducati 1m42.417s + 0.513s 56
5. Cal Crutchlow Tech 3 Yamaha 1m42.462s + 0.558s 57
6. Valentino Rossi Yamaha 1m42.513s + 0.609s 57
7. Aleix Espargaro Aspar Aprilia 1m42.537s + 0.633s 63
8. Randy de Puniet Suzuki 1m42.676s + 0.772s 73
9. Andrea Iannone Pramac Ducati 1m42.697s + 0.793s 65
10. Bradley Smith Tech 3 Yamaha 1m43.180s + 1.276s 25
11. Michele Pirro Pramac Ducati 1m43.784s + 1.880s 70
12. Hector Barbera Avintia FTR-Kawasaki 1m43.899s + 1.995s 54
13. Colin Edwards Forward FTR-Kawasaki 1m44.183s + 2.279s 38
14. Karel Abraham Cardion Aprilia 1m44.458s + 2.554s 61
15. Danilo Petrucci Ioda-Suter-BMW 1m44.477s + 2.573s 49
16. Michael Laverty PBM-Aprilia 1m44.547s + 2.643s 53
17. Claudio Corti Forward FTR-Kawasaki 1m44.794s + 2.890s 56
18. Yonny Hernandez PBM Aprilia 1m45.078s + 3.174s 36
19. Lukas Pesek Ioda-Suter-BMW 1m47.379s + 5.475s 52