Jorge Lorenzo beat Friday pacesetter Dani Pedrosa in a tight battle in final practice at Misano.
Pedrosa had dominated the Friday session, leading a Honda one-two and beating the field by 0.6sec.
But this morning's hour was much closer, with little to choose between Lorenzo (Yamaha) and Pedrosa at any stage. The championship leader was always able to maintain a slight advantage, with his eventual benchmark lap of 1m34.627sec giving him a 0.104sec cushion over Pedrosa.
The top four were covered by just 0.147sec, as Casey Stoner put an underwhelming Friday behind him to take third for Ducati, and Tech 3 Yamaha's Colin Edwards shot up to fourth in the final minutes.
Valentino Rossi was fifth on the second works Yamaha, ahead of Pedrosa's Honda teammate Andrea Dovizioso and Stoner's Ducati teammate Nicky Hayden.
Hector Barbera had another promising practice run to take eighth on the Aspar Ducati, although his best times came when following Rossi. Indianapolis podium finisher Ben Spies was ninth for Tech 3.
Suzuki was encouraged to edge back into the top 10 on Friday and maintained that form this morning, with Loris Capirossi and Alvaro Baustista 10th and 11th, followed by Marco Melandri (Gresini Honda), who had been in the top five for a while before dropping back.
Pos Rider Team Time Gap
1. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 1m34.627s
2. Dani Pedrosa Honda 1m34.731s + 0.104s
3. Casey Stoner Ducati 1m34.763s + 0.136s
4. Colin Edwards Tech 3 Yamaha 1m34.774s + 0.147s
5. Valentino Rossi Yamaha 1m34.981s + 0.354s
6. Andrea Dovizioso Honda 1m35.053s + 0.426s
7. Nicky Hayden Ducati 1m35.069s + 0.442s
8. Hector Barbera Aspar Ducati 1m35.120s + 0.493s
9. Ben Spies Tech 3 Yamaha 1m35.217s + 0.590s
10. Loris Capirossi Suzuki 1m35.222s + 0.595s
11. Alvaro Bautista Suzuki 1m35.432s + 0.805s
12. Marco Melandri Gresini Honda 1m35.445s + 0.818s
13. Randy de Puniet LCR Honda 1m35.636s + 1.009s
14. Aleix Espargaro Pramac Ducati 1m35.790s + 1.163s
15. Marco Simoncelli Gresini Honda 1m36.040s + 1.413s
16. Hiroshi Aoyama Interwetten Honda 1m36.089s + 1.462s
17. Mika Kallio Pramac Ducati 1m36.207s + 1.580s