Jorge Lorenzo edged out Dani Pedrosa and Cal Crutchlow in an extremely close first practice session for MotoGP's Catalunya Grand Prix at Barcelona.
Pedrosa looked like he would be the man to beat as he very quickly got to within a few tenths of lap record pace on his Honda, setting an early 1m42.6s benchmark. But Lorenzo was able to respond, producing a 1m42.422s for Yamaha to claim the top spot.
Although Pedrosa improved, he had to settle for second, just 0.023 second adrift. Tech 3 Yamaha rider Crutchlow then put himself into a contention with a lap only 0.070s slower than Lorenzo.
Valentino Rossi and Andrea Dovizioso completed the top five. Alvaro Bautista hung on to sixth despite crashing at Turn 1 late in the session.
Marc Marquez had a low-key first session and was only ninth, behind Stefan Bradl and Nicky Hayden. CRT pacesetter Aleix Espargaro jumped into the top 10 with his final lap, demoting Andrea Iannone.
Michele Pirro was back in 13th on the Ducati lab bike, entered in place of the injured Ben Spies at Pramac this weekend.
Pos Rider Team/Bike Time Gap Laps
1. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 1m42.422s 17
2. Dani Pedrosa Honda 1m42.445s + 0.023s 18
3. Cal Crutchlow Tech 3 Yamaha 1m42.492s + 0.070s 17
4. Valentino Rossi Yamaha 1m42.861s + 0.439s 20
5. Andrea Dovizioso Ducati 1m43.111s + 0.689s 17
6. Alvaro Bautista Gresini Honda 1m43.112s + 0.690s 14
7. Stefan Bradl LCR Honda 1m43.196s + 0.774s 19
8. Nicky Hayden Ducati 1m43.488s + 1.066s 19
9. Marc Marquez Honda 1m43.641s + 1.219s 19
10. Aleix Espargaro Aspar Aprilia 1m43.814s + 1.392s 16
11. Andrea Iannone Pramac Ducati 1m44.069s + 1.647s 20
12. Bradley Smith Tech 3 Yamaha 1m44.392s + 1.970s 19
13. Michele Pirro Ducati 1m44.519s + 2.097s 13
14. Randy de Puniet Aspar Aprilia 1m44.558s + 2.136s 16
15. Colin Edwards Forward FTR-Kawasaki 1m45.167s + 2.745s 18
16. Karel Abraham Cardion Aprilia 1m45.251s + 2.829s 18
17. Danilo Petrucci Ioda-Suter-BMW 1m45.371s + 2.949s 20
18. Hector Barbera Avintia FTR-Kawasaki 1m45.457s + 3.035s 14
19. Yonny Hernandez PBM Aprilia 1m45.824s + 3.402s 15
20. Hiroshi Aoyama Avintia FTR-Kawasaki 1m45.925s + 3.503s 17
21. Claudio Corti Forward FTR-Kawasaki 1m46.263s + 3.841s 18
22. Michael Laverty PBM-Aprilia 1m46.750s + 4.328s 18
23. Bryan Staring Gresini FTR-Honda 1m47.070s + 4.648s 20
24. Lukas Pesek Ioda-Suter-BMW 1m47.483s + 5.061s 14