Jorge Lorenzo dominated the second and final practice session ahead of qualifying for the motorcycling Grand Prix of Catalunya.
In front of his Barcelona home crowd, the Yamaha rider shot to the top of the timesheets and ahead of his team-mate Valentino Rossi with just four minutes of the session remaining.
Up to that point Rossi had been the only rider to break the 1m43s barrier this weekend, but Lorenzo lap improved over the Italian's time by six tenths of a second, and further increased that gap by half a second two minutes later with a stunning 1m41.899s lap.
In the dying seconds of the session, Honda's Andrea Dovizioso also managed to snatch second spot from Rossi, but his effort was still over six tenths slower than Lorenzo's.
Dovizioso's team-mate Dani Pedrosa was fourth fastest, followed by Randy de Puniet's LCR Honda.
Casey Stoner had to settle for seventh fastest with his Ducati, squeezed between the Tech 3 Yamahas of Colin Edwards and James Toseland.
Niccolo Canepa managed to take his Pramac Ducati up to ninth place, just ahead of Nicky Hayden's works machine.
Gabor Talmacsi carried on acclimatising to MotoGP by setting the slowest time with his Scot Honda, almost five seconds off the pace.
Pos Rider Bike Time
1. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 1m41.899s
2. Andrea Dovizioso Honda + 0.674s
3. Valentino Rossi Yamaha + 0.911s
4. Daniel Pedrosa Honda + 1.150s
5. Randy de Puniet Honda + 1.417s
6. Colin Edwards Yamaha + 1.510s
7. Casey Stoner Ducati + 1.597s
8. James Toseland Yamaha + 1.729s
9. Niccolo Canepa Ducati + 1.736s
10. Nicky Hayden Ducati + 1.759s
11. Chris Vermeulen Suzuki + 1.783s
12. Alex de Angelis Honda + 1.827s
13. Yuki Takahashi Honda + 1.873s
14. Sete Gibernau Ducati + 1.900s
15. Marco Melandri Kawasaki + 1.941s
16. Loris Capirossi Suzuki + 1.958s
17. Mika Kallio Ducati + 2.070s
18. Toni Elias Honda + 2.396s
19. Gabor Talmacsi Honda + 4.945s