Jorge Lorenzo could yet miss the final preseason test in Qatar as well as next week's Sepang sessions due to his hand injury.
The Yamaha rider suffered a fracture in his right hand and a displaced thumb when he fell while training on a motocross bike last Thursday. He had surgery in Barcelona immediately and has to wear hand protection for up to six weeks while he recovers.
Yamaha has already ruled out Lorenzo's participation in the Sepang test next week, but hopes he will be back in action for the Losail test on March 18-19. However, Lorenzo's spokesperson Hector Martin told the official MotoGP website that the recovery may take longer than had been first hoped.
"At the moment there are serious doubts as to whether Jorge will be fully recovered for the Qatar test," Martin said. "We must wait and see how his injury and rehabilitation go after he has his stitches removed, which will be next Friday or Monday."
The traditional preseason test at Jerez has been removed under this year's truncated winter schedule, with the field only getting the two Sepang tests and the days in Qatar before the first round, which takes place at Losail on April 9-11.