Jorge Lorenzo was quickest in Saturday morning practice at Laguna Seca, as his battle with Casey Stoner continued.
There was little to choose between the Yamaha and Ducati riders as they battled for the top spot in the session, but Lorenzo's 1m21.763s lap near the mid-point was sufficient to keep him on top by 0.063sec over the Australian.
As was the case on Friday, the works Hondas were third and fourth, with Dani Pedrosa ahead of Andrea Dovizioso this time.
Ben Spies was again the quickest American in fifth for Tech 3 Yamaha, with Valentino Rossi also repeating his practice one result in sixth on the second factory Yamaha.
American duo Colin Edwards (Tech 3) and Nicky Hayden (Ducati) swapped places from Friday in seventh and eighth. Satellite Ducati riders Hector Barbera (Aspar) and Aleix Espargaro (Pramac) completed the top 10.
The latter's teammate Mika Kallio was the only man to crash in the session, sliding off on his sixth lap but getting up uninjured and later rejoining.
Substitute riders Roger Lee Hayden – in for Randy de Puniet at LCR Honda and Alex de Angelis – deputizing for Hiroshi Aoyama on the Interwetten Honda – had a close battle at the tail of the field, with Hayden emerging in front by 0.3sec.
Pos Rider Team Time Gap
1. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 1m21.763s
2. Casey Stoner Ducati 1m21.826s + 0.063s
3. Dani Pedrosa Honda 1m21.876s + 0.113s
4. Andrea Dovizioso Honda 1m22.166s + 0.403s
5. Ben Spies Tech 3 Yamaha 1m22.293s + 0.530s
6. Valentino Rossi Yamaha 1m22.334s + 0.571s
7. Colin Edwards Tech 3 Yamaha 1m22.642s + 0.879s
8. Nicky Hayden Ducati 1m22.769s + 1.006s
9. Hector Barbera Aspar Ducati 1m22.846s + 1.083s
10. Aleix Espargaro Pramac Ducati 1m22.913s + 1.150s
11. Marco Melandri Gresini Honda 1m23.077s + 1.314s
12. Loris Capirossi Suzuki 1m23.307s + 1.544s
13. Alvaro Bautista Suzuki 1m23.310s + 1.547s
14. Marco Simoncelli Gresini Honda 1m23.706s + 1.943s
15. Mika Kallio Pramac Ducati 1m24.037s + 2.274s
16. Roger Lee Hayden LCR Honda 1m24.368s + 2.605s
17. Alex de Angelis Interwetten Honda 1m24.637s + 2.874s