Joey Logano became the youngest pole-sitter at Pocono Raceway as Toyota-powered cars dominated qualifying for Sunday's Sprint Cup series race.
The 21-year-old set a fastest lap of 52.309sec, at an average speed of 172.055mph, bumping Michael Waltrip Racing's Martin Truex Jr. from provisional pole.
Red Bull Racing's Kasey Kahne came closest to Logano's benchmark, but felt he left some speed on the table after deciding to avoid downshifting to third at Turn 1, as most of the fastest drivers did.
Logano's pole is his second of the season and the third of his Sprint Cup career. The Joe Gibbs Racing driver is currently 19th in the points and in need of a victory to contend for a potential Chase spot.
Kahne's second place mirrors his qualifying from last week at Indianapolis, where from the front row he dominated in the early going. The Red Bull driver, a former Pocono winner, was among the fastest in race trim during the final practice session on Friday, also setting the fastest overall time in the session.
Truex Jr. ensured a top three qualifying sweep for Toyota, while points' leader Carl Edwards was fourth as the fastest Ford for Roush Fenway Racing. June Pocono polesitter Kurt Busch rounded out the top five, while Logano's Joe Gibbs Racing teammate Denny Hamlin was sixth after holding on to provisional pole for most of the session.
The Richard Childress Racing cars were all top-15, with Brickyard 400 winner Paul Menard being the fastest of them in seventh. Stewart-Haas's Ryan Newman had posted the fastest lap on Friday during practice but ended up only 12th, ahead of Penske's Brad Keselowski.
June Pocono winner Jeff Gordon had a good lap going but ended up brushing the SAFER barrier at the exit of Turn 2, ending up only 31st in the order.
Despite a threat of rain and overcast skies all though the session, all 46 cars were able to set qualifying times to complete the starting order for Sunday's event. Todd Bodine was the fastest of the non-guaranteed drivers in 30th while his brother Geoffrey, TJ Bell and Mike Skinner failed to make the field.
Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap
1. Joey Logano Gibbs Toyota 52.309s
2. Kasey Kahne Red Bull Toyota 52.433s + 0.124s
3. Martin Truex Jr Waltrip Toyota 52.480s + 0.171s
4. Carl Edwards Roush Fenway Ford 52.486s + 0.177s
5. Kurt Busch Penske Dodge 52.488s + 0.179s
6. Denny Hamlin Gibbs Toyota 52.494s + 0.185s
7. Paul Menard Childress Chevrolet 52.518s + 0.209s
8. Jeff Burton Childress Chevrolet 52.519s + 0.210s
9. Greg Biffle Roush Fenway Ford 52.579s + 0.270s
10. Kevin Harvick Childress Chevrolet 52.594s + 0.285s
11. Kyle Busch Gibbs Toyota 52.607s + 0.298s
12. Ryan Newman Stewart Haas Chevrolet 52.697s + 0.388s
13. Brad Keselowski Penske Dodge 52.739s + 0.430s
14. Clint Bowyer Childress Chevrolet 52.749s + 0.440s
15. David Ragan Roush Fenway Ford 52.749s + 0.440s
16. Jamie McMurray Earnhardt Ganassi Chevrolet 52.758s + 0.449s
17. Regan Smith Furniture Row Chevrolet 52.768s + 0.459s
18. Jimmie Johnson Hendrick Chevrolet 52.774s + 0.465s
19. Dale Earnhardt Jr Hendrick Chevrolet 52.784s + 0.475s
20. Matt Kenseth Roush Fenway Ford 52.805s + 0.496s
21. Dave Blaney Baldwin Chevrolet 52.845s + 0.536s
22. Bobby Labonte JTG Daugherty Toyota 52.854s + 0.545s
23. Juan Pablo Montoya Earnhardt Ganassi Chevrolet 52.891s + 0.582s
24. David Gilliland Front Row Ford 52.920s + 0.611s
25. Mark Martin Hendrick Chevrolet 52.928s + 0.619s
26. Brian Vickers Red Bull Toyota 52.944s + 0.635s
27. Marcos Ambrose Petty Ford 52.980s + 0.671s
28. Tony Stewart Stewart Haas Chevrolet 53.024s + 0.715s
29. AJ Allmendinger Petty Ford 53.057s + 0.748s
30. Todd Bodine HP Toyota 53.131s + 0.822s
31. Jeff Gordon Hendrick Chevrolet 53.142s + 0.833s
32. Casey Mears Germain Toyota 53.148s + 0.839s
33. David Reutimann Waltrip Toyota 53.149s + 0.840s
34. JJ Yeley Whitney Chevrolet 53.283s + 0.974s
35. Eric Darnell Red Lone Ford 53.371s + 1.062s
36. Landon Cassill Phoenix Chevrolet 53.410s + 1.101s
37. David Stremme Inception Chevrolet 53.606s + 1.297s
38. Robby Gordon Gordon Dodge 53.637s + 1.328s
39. Travis Kvapil Front Row Ford 53.698s + 1.389s
40. Scott Speed Max Q Ford 53.757s + 1.448s
41. Jason White Gunbroker Ford 53.839s + 1.530s
42. Andy Lally TRG Chevrolet 53.935s + 1.626s
43. Joe Nemechek NEMCO Toyota 38.806s + 1.497s