Jari-Matti Latvala leads a close fight for the Rally GB lead after the opening three stages in Wales.
Latvala's Ford teammate Petter Solberg had set the early pace, leading through stages one and two. But Latvala's quickest time on Myherin coincided with a loss of speed for a puzzled Solberg, who dropped nine seconds to the Finn. That leaves Latvala leading Sebastien Loeb's Citroen by 3.3 seconds, with Solberg 2sec further back in third.
Mads Ostberg made a strong start in the Adapta Ford and was second behind Solberg at the end of SS1. The Norwegian lost ground on SS3, though, where he rued having not made fresh pace notes for 2012.
But Ostberg is still ahead of the second works Citroen of Mikko Hirvonen, who struggled to account for the 15sec that he dropped off the lead during the morning.
Leading positions after SS3:
Pos Driver Team/Car Time/Gap
1. Jari-Matti Latvala Ford 42m39.2s
2. Sebastien Loeb Citroen + 3.3s
3. Petter Solberg Ford + 5.3s
4. Mads Ostberg Adapta Ford + 12.1s
5. Mikko Hirvonen Citroen + 15.1s
6. Ott Tanak M-Sport Ford + 44.6s
7. Evgeny Novikov M-Sport Ford + 50.2s
8. Thierry Neuville Citroen Junior + 1m19.3s
9. Matthew Wilson M-Sport Ford + 1m41.0s
10. Martin Prokop Czech Ford + 1m54.5s