NASCAR has suspended Kurt Busch until June 13 and has extended his probation until Dec. 31 for his actions following the Nationwide Series race June 2 at Dover International Speedway.
The suspension sidelines him for this weekend's Sprint Cup race at Pocono, where David Reutimann will substitute for him in James Finch's No. 51 Chevrolet. In an interview on SiriusXM Radio, Finch said he plans to have a "come-to-Jesus" meeting with Busch to talk about the driver's future with the team.
Busch violated Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing; violation of probation; verbal abuse to a media member) of the 2012 NASCAR Rule Book. Busch had been placed on probation May 15 for his actions during the May 12 Sprint Cup Series event at Darlington Raceway. That probation was scheduled to end July 25, NASCAR said.
In this instance, Busch retorted to reporter Bob Pockrass' question asking whether his on-track conduct racing Justin Allgaier was tempered by the fact he was on probation.
"It refrains me from beating the (expletive) out of you, for asking stupid questions," Busch said, in an interview which aired on SPEED.
The former Penske driver, now driving for James Finch's Phoenix Racing team in the Cup, accepted the suspension and apologized to the reporter involved.
"I accept NASCAR's decision," said Busch. "I put them in a box, they had to take action and it's my fault for putting them in this position. I apologize for the comments I made to Bob Pockrass."