Oliver Jarvis topped the first DTM free practice session of the weekend at Valencia on Friday as Audis filled the top seven places. The British driver spent much of the latter stages unchallenged at the top of the times, as very few drivers improved after a flurry of activity during the middle of the session.
One change toward the top of the order came courtesy of reigning champion Timo Scheider, who jumped up from fourth to second with his final flying lap of the session, reducing his teammate's margin at the front of the field to just 0.235sec. Mike Rockenfeller was next up in the best of the 2008-spec Audis, ahead of Mattias Ekstrom and local driver Miguel Molina, who completed the top five.
Martin Tomczyk was sixth, completing a good day for the Abt Audi squad which was blighted with tire problems in the season opener at Hockenheim.
Behind Alexandre Premat, Jamie Green was the first of the Mercedes drivers in his 2008-spec C-class, but the Persson Motorsport driver was more than one second adrift of the pace.
Ralf Schumacher and Bruno Spengler led the way for the 2009-spec HWA Mercedes and completed the top 10, but both were 1.2sec slower than Jarvis.
Championship leader Gary Paffett finished the session down in 14th place, while David Coulthard was two seconds off the pace in his 2008 car, which left him 17th.
Pos Driver Car Time Gap
1. Oliver Jarvis Audi 1m30.189s
2. Timo Scheider Audi 1m30.424s + 0.235s
3. Mike Rockenfeller Audi 1m30.597s + 0.408s
4. Mattias Ekstrom Audi 1m30.739s + 0.550s
5. Miguel Molina Audi 1m30.921s + 0.732s
6. Martin Tomczyk Audi 1m30.951s + 0.762s
7. Alexandre Premat Audi 1m31.043s + 0.854s
8. Jamie Green Mercedes 1m31.358s + 1.169s
9. Ralf Schumacher Mercedes 1m31.479s + 1.290s
10. Bruno Spengler Mercedes 1m31.483s + 1.294s
11. Maro Engel Mercedes 1m31.560s + 1.371s
12. Susie Stoddart Mercedes 1m31.646s + 1.457s
13. Paul di Resta Mercedes 1m31.663s + 1.474s
14. Gary Paffett Mercedes 1m31.873s + 1.684s
15. Markus Winkelhock Audi 1m31.913s + 1.724s
16. Katherine Legge Audi 1m32.137s + 1.948s
17. David Coulthard Mercedes 1m32.206s + 2.017s
18. Franky Cheng Mercedes 1m32.793s + 2.604s