Oliver Jarvis set the pace in DTM free practice at Zandvoort this morning in his one-year-old Audi.
The British driver took the top spot with four minutes remaining of the two and a half-hour session, which had started in tricky damp conditions but eventually dried out.
Former Zandvoort winner Martin Tomczyk moved up to second in the final minute, while Tom Kristensen - who has also won at the Dutch track in the past - made it an Audi 1-2-3.
After being the fastest man overall for a long period, Maro Engel eventually put his one-year-old Mercedes fourth quickest, while a late effort from Bruno Spengler to grab fifth was a bright spot for the HWA-Mercedes squad.
The 2009-spec Mercedes, which are 10 kilograms heavier than the '09 Audis this weekend, rarely threatened the top of the order, at a track where Audi traditionally has an advantage due its aero performance in longer corners.
There were another four Audis between Spengler and Gary Paffett, who was the only other Mercedes driver to squeeze into the top 10. Meanwhile their team-mates Paul di Resta and Ralf Schumacher had to settle for 13th and 14th respectively.
Pos Driver Car Time Gap
1. Oliver Jarvis Audi 1m32.011s
2. Martin Tomczyk Audi 1m32.175s +0.164
3. Tom Kristensen Audi 1m32.366s +0.355
4. Maro Engel Mercedes 1m32.376s +0.365
5. Bruno Spengler Mercedes 1m32.392s +0.381
6. Markus Winkelhock Audi 1m32.407s +0.396
7. Mike Rockenfeller Audi 1m32.436s +0.425
8. Mattias Ekstrom Audi 1m32.561s +0.550
9. Timo Scheider Audi 1m32.891s +0.880
10. Gary Paffett Mercedes 1m32.996s +0.985
11. Mathias Lauda Mercedes 1m33.087s +1.076
12. Susie Stoddart Mercedes 1m33.121s +1.110
13. Paul di Resta Mercedes 1m33.330s +1.319
14. Ralf Schumacher Mercedes 1m33.349s +1.338
15. Jamie Green Mercedes 1m33.432s +1.421
16. Christian Bakkerud Audi 1m33.715s +1.704
17. Katherine Legge Audi 1m33.735s +1.724
18. Alexandre Premat Audi 1m33.965s +1.954
19. Tomas Kostka Audi 1m34.086s +2.075