Neel Jani gave Rebellion another American Le Mans Series pole in qualifying for Saturday's four-hour race at Neel Jani gave Rebellion another American Le Mans Series pole in qualifying for Saturday's four-hour race at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca.
Jani, who shares the Lola-Toyota with ex-Formula 1 driver Nick Heidfeld, kept Rebellion just out of its rivals' reach throughout LMP1 qualifying. At times the Swiss driver was a second clear, but Dyson's Guy Smith and Pickett's Klaus Graf kept closing in while swapping second place.
Smith eventually took the outside front row spot, 0.3 second off pole and a tenth ahead of Graf.
The Level 5 HPDs battled for LMP2 pole. Both Marino Franchitti and Ryan Briscoe had spins -- at the final corner and the Corkscrew, respectively -- before the Scot took class honors by three tenths of a second.
Matteo Malucelli claimed his first pole in the ALMS as he kept Risi's Ferrari ahead of a superb GT debut from CORE's Porsche. Longtime Porsche star Patrick Long showed his new team's pace by getting within 0.009sec of beating Risi.
The top seven GT cars were within half a second, as the Falken Porsche, Corvettes, BMWs and AJR/West Ferrari joined the pole fight.
CORE's good day continued in its usual LMPC home, where Colin Braun put it on pole. Jeroen Bleekemolen was fastest in GTC.
Pos Cl Qual Driver Team/Car Time Gap
1. P1 Neel Jani Rebellion Lola-Toyota 1m13.429s
2. P1 Guy Smith Dyson Lola-Mazda 1m13.806s + 0.377s
3. P1 Klaus Graf Pickett HPD 1m13.954s + 0.525s
4. P2 Marino Franchitti Level 5 HPD 1m16.642s
5. P2 Ryan Briscoe Level 5 HPD 1m17.002s + 0.360s
6. PC Colin Braun CORE FLM 1m17.382s
7. P2 Johannes van Overbeek Extreme Speed HPD 1m18.591s + 1.949s
8. PC Renger van der Zande 8Star FLM 1m18.685s + 1.303s
9. P2 Guy Cosmo Extreme Speed HPD 1m18.880s + 2.238s
10. PC Bruno Junqueira RSR FLM 1m19.076s + 1.694s
11. PC Luis Diaz PR1 Mathiasen FLM 1m19.302s + 1.920s
12. PC Kyle Marcelli BAR1 FLM 1m19.436s + 2.054s
13. PC Tristan Nunez Performance Tech FLM 1m19.757s + 2.375s
14. PC Rusty Mitchell BAR1 FLM 1m19.762s + 2.380s
15. P1 Andy Meyrick DeltaWing 1m22.078s + 8.649s
16. GT Matteo Malucelli Risi Ferrari 1m22.732s
17. GT Patrick Long CORE Porsche 1m22.823s + 0.091s
18. GT Bryan Sellers Falken Porsche 1m22.908s + 0.176s
19. GT Olver Gavin Corvette 1m22.924s + 0.192s
20. GT Maxime Martin RLL BMW 1m22.990s + 0.258s
21. GT Antonio Garcia Corvette 1m23.042s + 0.310s
22. GT Townsend Bell West/AJR Ferrari 1m23.217s + 0.485s
23. GT Dirk Muller RLL BMW 1m23.406s + 0.674s
24. GT Marc Goossens SRT Viper 1m23.615s + 0.883s
25. GT Bryce Miller Miller Porsche 1m23.743s + 1.011s
26. GT Kuno Wittmer SRT Viper 1m24.031s + 1.299s
27. GTC Jeroen Bleekemolen Alex Job Porsche 1m27.296s
28. GTC Nick Tandy NGT Porsche 1m27.407s + 0.111s
29. GTC Andy Lally Dempsey Del Piero Porsche 1m27.495s + 0.199s
30. GTC Spencer Pumpelly Flying Lizard Porsche 1m27.628s + 0.332s
31. GTC Jan Heylen JDX Porsche 1m28.272s + 0.976s
32. GTC Dion von Moltke Flying Lizard Porsche 1m28.424s + 1.128s
33. GTC Andrew Davis Dempsey Del Piero Porsche 1m28.741s + 1.445s
34. GTC Damien Faulkner TRG Porsche 1m29.545s + 2.249s
35. GTC Cort Wagner Competition Porsche 1m29.604s + 2.308s
36. GTC Andrew Novich TRG Porsche 1m30.151s + 2.855s