Neel Jani claimed another American Le Mans Series pole position for Rebellion with a dominant performance at Long Beach. The Swiss driver, whose teammate Nick Heidfeld had topped the practice session, was the only driver to dip below the 1m13s barrier; his best time a 1m12.600s. That put him almost seven tenths clear of Guy Smith's Dyson Racing Lola, which hit the tire wall at Turn 8 at the end of the session.
However, Smith and teammate Chris Dyson will start ahead of the Pickett Racing HPD of Lucas Luhr and Klaus Graf after outqualifying them by a mere 0.04 second.
Luhr's bid to improve was spoiled when he got caught up behind a slower LMP2 car on a late flier.
Ryan Briscoe was comfortably fastest in LMP2, his Level 5 HPD more than a second clear of Scott Sharp's best effort in the Extreme Speed machine, and the only P2 car to beat the rapid LMPC pack.
SRT's Dominik Farnbacher delivered a first ALMS pole for Viper since Adelaide 2000 in a tight GT session.
Farnbacher edged out Bryan Sellers' Falken Porsche and Jonathan Bomarito in the second Viper during a frantic mid-session battle.
Jan Magnuseen was first of the two Corvettes in fourth. Bill Auberlen headed the BMW entries in fifth, while Olivier Beretta was seventh in the Risi Ferrari.
The Paul Miller Racing Porsche had topped practice but suffered a right-rear puncture in the hands of Marco Holzer and only completed one flying lap in qualifying.
Bruno Junqueira just held on to the LMPC pole for RSR. The Brazilian watched from the pitlane as Colin Braun's bid for pole in the CORE Autosport machine came up short by six thousandths of a second.
Alex Job's Jeroen Bleekemolen snatched GTC pole from Long Beach debutant Sean Edwards with his last lap of the session.
Pos Cl Qual driver Team/Car Time Cl. Gap
1. P1 Neel Jani Rebellion Lola-Toyota 1m12.600s
2. P1 Guy Smith Dyson Lola-Mazda 1m13.282s + 0.682s
3. P1 Lucas Luhr Pickett HPD 1m14.004s + 1.404s
4. P2 Ryan Briscoe Level 5 HPD 1m16.014s
5. PC Bruno Junqueira RSR FLM 1m16.167s
6. PC Colin Braun CORE FLM 1m16.222s + 0.055s
7. PC Luis Diaz PR1 Mathiasen FLM 1m16.630s + 0.463s
8. PC Kyle Marcelli BAR1 FLM 1m16.654s + 0.487s
9. PC Tristan Nunez Performance Tech FLM 1m16.834s + 0.667s
10. PC Rusty Mitchell BAR1 FLM 1m17.176s + 1.009s
11. P2 Scott Sharp Extreme Speed HPD 1m17.390s + 1.376s
12. P2 Johannes van Overbeek Extreme Speed HPD 1m17.432s + 1.418s
13. GT Dominik Farnbacher SRT Viper 1m18.845s
14. GT Bryan Sellers Falken Porsche 1m18.967s + 0.122s
15. GT Jonathan Bomarito SRT Viper 1m18.984s + 0.139s
16. GT Jan Magnussen Corvette 1m19.047s + 0.202s
17. GT Bill Auberlen RLL BMW 1m19.063s + 0.218s
18. GT Tommy Milner Corvette 1m19.083s + 0.238s
19. GT Olivier Beretta Risi Ferrari 1m19.184s + 0.339s
20. GT Joey Hand RLL BMW 1m19.258s + 0.413s
21. GT Townsend Bell West/AJR Ferrari 1m19.533s + 0.688s
22. P2 Scott Tucker Level 5 HPD 1m19.711s + 3.697s
23. GTC Jeroen Bleekemolen Alex Job Porsche 1m22.850s
24. GTC Sean Edwards NGT Porsche 1m22.971s + 0.121s
25. GTC Spencer Pumpelly Flying Lizard Porsche 1m23.014s + 0.164s
26. GTC Damien Faulkner TRG Porsche 1m23.355s + 0.505s
27. GTC Jan Heylen JDX Porsche 1m23.701s + 0.851s
28. GTC Craig Stanton TRG Porsche 1m23.745s + 0.895s
29. GTC Dion von Moltke Flying Lizard Porsche 1m24.239s + 1.389s
30. GTC Bob Faieta Dempsey Del Piero Porsche 1m24.583s + 1.733s
31. GTC Joe Foster Dempsey Del Piero Porsche 1m25.091s + 2.241s
32. GT Marco Holzer Miller Porsche 1m27.491s + 8.646s