The Intercontinental Rally Challenge has canceled its planned second round in Argentina, the Rally de los Alerces, after the event ran into funding difficulties.
Series boss Marcello Lotti said the door was open for the Alerces rally, which would have been making its IRC debut this year, to appear on future schedules if it could resolve its issues.
"Unfortunately, the organizers of Rally de los Alerces have faced difficulties with their main sponsor and were unable to confirm their position on the calendar," Lotti said. "We will continue to have dialogue with them in the hope Argentina can return to the IRC in the future."
Rally Argentina was part of the IRC last season but has now returned to the World Rally Championship schedule. With the IRC having dropped Rally Curitiba, the loss of Alerces means it will not visit South America this year.
Spain's Rally Islas Canarias will now become the second round of the 2011 IRC schedule, having previously been a provisional event. Its date has been firmed up as April 14-16, while the subsequent Tour de Corse has been shuffled back a week to May 13-15.
Another minor tweak to the IRC calendar sees the new Mecsek Rally in Hungary on Sept. 9-11 become an all-asphalt event. It had originally been planned as a mixed asphalt/gravel rally.