2014 season previews, and the readers' choices of 2013 pack the Spring Issue of RACER
Given the abundance of riches at Chip Ganassi Racing this year, it was only logical to feature the team's IndyCar squad on the cover of RACER's 2014 Season Preview Issue. All four CGR drivers have race wins, and sitting in the pair of Target cars are the reigning series champion and the reigning Indy 500 champion. As a team owner, could your hand get any stronger?
Well, yes, as Chip proved by asking the newly retired Dario Franchitti to stay on as an advisor and mentor to the drivers. We're not sure of the multiple champ's new job description, but it's probably along the lines of, "Carry on being Dario," a role in which he's uniquely positioned to succeed. To our great benefit, he's also in an ideal position to prognosticate on the 2014 IndyCar Series season. Read his thoughts and predictions, starting on page 28.
While race fans are used to reveling in IndyCar's open competition, Formula 1 has been way more predictable in recent years. Everyone starts quite evenly matched but, by mid-season, Adrian Newey's fired up his frontal lobe, Sebastian Vettel has found another gear, and suddenly it's "Goodnight Vienna" (or Milton Keynes) for Red Bull Racing's rivals.
OK, maybe that's how it will be again in 2014, too. However, as we went to press, the RB10, like all the Renault-powered F1 cars, was struggling in the wake of cars carrying Mercedes-Benz and Ferrari engines...or power units, as we must now call them. Our preview picks through the vast rule changes that have resulted in F1 cars with cutting-edge tech at the rear and distinctive and bizarre noses in front.
If four-time and reigning F1 World Champion Vettel has endured 99 problems in pre-season testing, he certainly earned the respect of you, the RACER readers, for his 2013 performance, landing a huge wedge of votes for RACER of the Year XIX. But was it enough to earn him top spot in the overall category? Er...no, not even close. To find out who came out on top, click here.
-David Malsher, Editor
On tap in the Season Preview Issue:
FORMULA 1 2014 - A BRAVE NEW WORLD: Full guide to the new turbocharged, wacky-nosed and electrified era
INDYCAR 2014 - TOO CLOSE TO CALL? Full guide to a fascinating IndyCar Series ahead
FRANCHITTI ON THE TITLE FAVORITES: Retired ace picks his choices
>IN FOCUS: PORSCHE 911 RSR The new works IMSA racer in studio
NASCAR'S COMBUSTION CHAMBER: Tom Jensen reveals who and what's hot to trot in stockers
MICHAEL'S MOJO RISING: David Malsher explores the growth of Andretti Autosport in a variety of directions
MARQUES OF DISTINCTION: The Pirelli World Challenge goes from strength to strength with an abundance of new cars
A TRUE TEST OF ENDURANCE: Marshall Pruett on the unique demands facing the newly unified sports car contenders for the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship
...all this, plus our regular slate of columns and features in the Spring Issue, now its making way free to subscribers and also available on newsstands.
Look Inside Issue 259
To subscribe now at a special discount rate, click here, or to learn where to buy RACER in your area, click here.
To purchase a single copy of this issue, click here.
RACER is also available digitally for Apple, Android and Kindle Fire devices. RACER Digital has the complete content of the magazine's print edition formatted for mobile viewing. With RACER Digital, you'll have access to your RACER content all the time, wherever you are.
The RACER app can be found by searching for "RACER Magazine" in the Apple, Android or Amazon App stores. The app is free and includes issue previews and the RACER.com newsfeed. Individual issues can be purchased for $4.99 and an 8-issue annual subscription is $19.99. Back issues are also available.
Subscribe to Racer
- Lucas Oil Off Road: Titles settled at Lake Elsinore
- Trucks: Wallace salutes Wendell Scott with Martinsville win
- Speculation: Could an Audi F1 program already be up and running?
- Spectacular start for Team USA Scholarship’s Aaron Telitz at Brands Hatch
- VIDEOS: Team USA Scholarship's Aaron Telitz takes Brands Hatch heat 1 victory
- WRC: Ogier leads into final day in Spain
- V8 Supercars: Gold Coast 600 - Race 31 highlights
- Gold Coast 600 - A lap with David Reynolds
- F1: Marussia set to miss USGP too
- Ambrose, DJR Team Penske to make December V8 Supercars debut
Video: The Insider Issue
FROM THE RACER CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
TUDOR United SportsCar Championship: Interviews and insights from Marshall Pruett.
Like us On Facebook
- Most Popular
- Recently Added
- Most Commented
- SELECT i.id FROM #__flexicontent_items_tmp AS i JOIN #__flexicontent_cats_item_relations AS rel ON rel.itemid = i.id JOIN #__categories AS c ON c.id = rel.catid WHERE c.published = 1 AND ( i.publish_up = '0000-00-00 00:00:00' OR i.publish_up <= '2014-10-26 00:43:10' ) AND ( i.publish_down = '0000-00-00 00:00:00' OR i.publish_down >= '2014-10-26 00:43:10' ) AND i.access IN (0,1,1) AND i.id <> 101772 AND i.state <> -2 AND i.state IN (1) AND c.id IN (499) GROUP BY i.id ORDER BY i.modified DESC, i.title ASC
- PRUETT: It's time for IndyCar to stop kidding itself
- RACER: Robin Miller on 2015 IndyCar schedule
- IMSA: Open letter to fans from Scott Atherton and Ed Bennett
- NBC analyst: Tony Stewart's involvement in NASCAR on-track squabbles could have legal implications
- IndyCar: Chevy aero kit breaks cover at COTA
17030 Red Hill Avenue
Irvine, CA 92614
Creative Services Division:
Pfanner Communications, Inc.
Contact Pfanner Communications