Helio Castroneves has been handed pole for Houston's second IndyCar race after it was ruled that the procedure for determining the grid when qualifying is cancelled had been incorrectly applied.
According to rule 126.96.36.199b of the regulations, in situations where qualifying is unable to be completed, the grid will be determined by the entrant points standing entering the event. The confusion appears to have arisen from differing takes on what constituted the "event."
Scott Dixon's Target Chip Ganassi Racing car, which had previously been declared the polesitter, is the current entrant point leader following the New Zealander's win in race one on Saturday. However, IndyCar officials subsequently determined that the "event" is defined as the entire weekend, not just Sunday's second race of the double-header.
Castroneves' Penske entry was leading the entrant points prior to the Houston weekend, meaning that the Brazilian will now line up in first place for the race, with Dixon to remain on the front row alongside him.
Revised starting lineup:
Pos Driver Team/Engine
1. Helio Castroneves Penske/Chevy
2. Scott Dixon Ganassi/Honda
3. Simon Pagenaud Schmidt/Honda
4. Marco Andretti Andretti/Chevy
5. Ryan Hunter-Reay Andretti/Chevy
6. Justin Wilson Coyne/Honda
7. Dario Franchitti Ganassi/Honda
8. Will Power Penske/Chevy
9. James Hinchcliffe Andretti/Chevy
10. Charlie Kimball Ganassi/Honda
11. Tony Kanaan KV/Chevy
12. EJ Viso Andretti/Chevy
13. Sebastien Bourdais Dragon/Chevy
14. Josef Newgarden Fisher/Honda
15. Simona de Silvestro KV/Chevy
16. Takuma Sato Foyt/Honda
17. Mike Conway Coyne/Honda
18. Graham Rahal Rahal/Honda
19. Ed Carpenter Carpenter/Chevy
20. James Jakes Rahal/Honda
21. Oriol Servia Panther/Chevy
22. Tristan Vautier Schmidt/Honda
23. Luca Filippi Barracuda/Honda
24. Sebastian Saavedra Dragon/Chevy