Following Sunday's aborted IZOD IndyCar Series season finale at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, most drivers in the field took to Twitter to post their tributes and immediate reactions following Dan Wheldon's fatal accident.
Wheldon was involved in a multi-car accident on lap 11 which red flagged the rest and was not restarted in full. The remaining cars ran a five-lap salute, which the drivers decided to do after IndyCar CEO Randy Bernard made the announcement of Wheldon's passing.
Thoughts from those who posted on Twitter appear below:
- @Oriol Servia: No doubt Dan is in a better place, as it's said, they always take the good ones. The rest we still have a lot of growing to do.
- @h3lio: It's so hard to speak these days...Dan was a nice guy, my God! A guy like that we feel satisfaction in knowing. We will always remember Dan as a great guy. We will really miss, even. Goodbye my friend Dan Wheldon!
- @JRHildebrand: What a tremendously sad day, my thoughts are with the entire Wheldon family... Dan's passion for IndyCar racing will be sorely missed....
- @TakumaSatoRacer: I am so deeply sad for Dan Wheldon's family. He was a great competitor and gentleman. All his friends in motorsport will miss him deeply.
- @RyanBriscoe6: I don't have words for the tragic loss of Dan today. He was a good man and will be missed by all of us. The 5 lap parade was a nice touch and very emotional from inside the racecar. Looked like world war 3 hit Turn 2 as well.
- @DanicaPatrick: There are no words for today. Myself and so many others are devastated. I pray for (Susie) and the kids that God will give them strength.
- @Paultracy3: I have no words for what has happened , RIP Danny. Sadness turning to anger now, IndyCar needs to put the 5mil in a trust for Dan's kids !!!!
- @ScottDixon9: My dearest friend Danny boy. Thank you for everything! You're an amazing driver and man. I will miss you so badly. Luv ya mate
- @DarioFranchitti: Rest in peace Danny boy, we'll miss you my friend. Everyone please keep the Wheldon family in your thoughts and prayers.
- @12WillPower: Such a sad day...to lose a champion like Dan Wheldon...my thoughts and prayers are with Susie and his kids.
- @VitorMeira18: This is not right... It should not have happened... Rest in peace Dan!
- @JayHoward88: Thx 4 all the tweets, I'm OK. No words can describe the shock and heartache I feel especially 4 Susie and fam. 2day was a tragedy, RIP Danny boy… Can't sleep, can't stop thinking about what happened today, can't stop thinking about Susie, I'm devastated... 1 of worst days of my life.
- @JamesJakes: RIP DW
- @Alex_Lloyd: This is one of the saddest days of my life. Can't believe we have lost him. He was a true champion and a great friend. #lionheart
- @TownsendBell99: So sorry to hear this news. I'm in shock. I ran to his car and felt so helpless. I really thought he'd make it.
- @Biaracing: Speechless with what happened today. My heart is hurt. Rest in peace Dan...my prayers to all his family and close friends...
- @MarcoAndretti: I looked up to you both as a racing driver and a person/friend. You will be forever missed. RIP Dan Wheldon.
- @MikeConwayIndy: So sad that Dan Wheldon was taken from us...Thoughts and wishes are with his family...I knew already, but motorsport can be so cruel!
- @RyanHunterReay: Devastated. Lost for words. Dan was a true champion in so so many ways. He was a huge part of our sport. I'm praying for his family.........
- @SebSaavedra: Thank you all for the messages of concern. We will remember Dan as our warrior in IndyCar. God bless his family in this tough times SS. Something I know and I assure to u all is that IndyCar as we know it will change drastically! SS RIP DAN … Good night everyone. I will have a cup of wine in Dan's name and praying for his close loved ones. SS
- @GrahamRahal: My heart goes out to the Wheldon family. Dan was an incredible champion, a great friend, great guy, and someone to look up to. Still can't believe this has happened. RIP Dan. We all will miss you dearly. Just can't stop thinking about Susie and the kids. Life just isn't fair some times. Thanks for all the tweets everyone. Let's never forget that great smile, and incredible personality that Dan brought to our sport. RIP Dan
- @TonyKanaan: No words to describe the pain. See you on the other side my dear friend. You will be missed. Thanks for all the messages, it has been one of the most difficult days of my (career), you guys are the reason (that) we still do this.
- @EJVISO: Rest in peace Dan, what a great human. Thanks to all of you I'm OK.
- @tomasscheckter: Leaving track don't want to hear news see enough. Walked past something I pray never to see again. Time for drivers to get together and start working as union. We need a voice before the voices we love to hear are not around anymore. Lay in a dark room hope I wake up from the nightmare. This is not fair and not right it can't be true. I have known Dan since I was 16. I had a poster of him in a go kart in my room when I was 12 yrs old in SA. God should have taken me. Things are going to change. I won't forget what I saw. I won't sit down and wait till it happens again.
- @Tagliani: It's a very sad day. He was my little brother from another mother he was so happy to show me his new Tattoo from last night SW on wrist … I will miss him very much. (Susie) I sending you my deepest love to you and the kids.
- @CharlieKimball: Physically I am OK. Thinking of Susie and the boys.
- @Hinchtown: Nothing to say that hasn't been said. Dan was a champion racing driver as well as a champion human being. Will never forget his character … I'll think about Dan every time I'm fortunate enough to sit in the car he helped develop. I'd love to see Dallara name the chassis DW 001.