An earthquake struck 130 km southeast of Twin Ring Motegi. (LAT photo)
A 6.2 magnitude earthquake hit Japan overnight, and most of the IndyCar community felt it. It hit roughly 130km southeast of the Twin Ring Motegi circuit. Fortunately, there was no tsunami warning issued and no major damage reported.
Drivers took to Twitter to give their immediate reactions. A sampling is below:
- @GrahamRahal: Definitely just felt an earthquake. Thinking probably anyone at the track felt it. All good here. Just a little shaking to keep us all awake!
- @RyanHunterReay: Just had a pretty good tremor here in Motegi!! Wow, that's a first for me! No more please!
- @OriolServia: It was fun for like 3 secs until you realize it is not stopping, is not stopping, is not…
- @DarioFranchitti: Yep, I think that was an earthquake....
- @Hinchtown: Literally just had a note slipped under the door of my hotel that starts with "In the event of an earthquake..." Haha!
- @MarcoAndretti: Been in Japan for under 24 hrs and had an earthquake. Ha.
- @JRHildebrand: Forgot to mention nearly being trampled by a herd of elephants stampeding bc of the 'quake. Was pretty sure the world was ending actually.
- @VitorMeira18: In Japan now... Just felt my first earthquake!! Weird!!!!
- @JamesJakes: Busy day at the track getting the Teriyaki racecar ready, oh and just had the first earthquake of the trip!
- @BiaRacing: I am not sure if I am pleased or upset for not feeling the earthquake...
- @MikeConwayIndy: Thought someone was going at it next door...until my bed started shaking, too! Just experienced my first earthquake.....