IHRA Throwback Thursday: A little thunder from down under
Despite the great distance between Australia and the U.S., we share a lot in common, including the Aussies' affection for things that go fast.
Posted last year and titled "Full Throttle Friday: IHRA Drag Racing," this video is 13 minutes worth of fast passes in cars ranging from familiar-looking Funny Cars to some rather tiny super short-wheelbase cars to some quick but clunky-looking four-door Holdens to small pickups. Often you'll be wondering, "Why in the world are they racing THAT?"
While there are a smattering of V-8s, Australians seem to love smaller high-winding engines and turbochargers, often mounted in little cars that look like the automotive equivalent of bucking broncos.
No matter – IHRA drag racing is drag racing, no matter what the Hemi – or hemisphere.
Subscribe to RacerMore
- Vettel bests Hamilton, Bottas in Melbourne
- USAC Silver Crown champion Steele killed in crash
- Hoosier SCCA Super Tour - COTA Day 1
- Ricciardo felled by electrical issue at Australian GP
- Larson holds off Logano for Fontana Xfinity win
- Bowyer finding unexpected benefits in filling Stewart's seat
- 'You have to have a game plan' - Hamlin
- Elliott tops speeds but bends metal in final practice
- Earnhardt Jr. reflects ahead of 600th Cup start
- 'I'm the first guy out there to search around for grip' - Larson
- MotoGP qualifying canceled, Vinales takes pole on practice times
- Jones tops NASCAR practice as Harvick, Ragan hit trouble
- Grosjean starts year two strong for Haas while Magnussen struggles
- McLaren and Honda coy over Mercedes rumors
- Ricciardo takes blame for Q3 crash
Video: The 2017 Preview Issue
FROM THE RACER CHANNEL
33 years of SportsCar magazine history.
See more than 50 On Board videos.