Andrea Iannone took a comfortable victory in a damp Moto2 race at Jerez.
The Italian made swift progress forward from 11th on the grid to take the lead from Thomas Luthi into the first corner just after half-distance. Iannone cruised away once in front, and his first victory of the year moved him into an early championship lead.
Luthi held on to a lonely second, ahead of Simone Corsi, who had produced an incredible opening-lap charge to get through from 18th on the grid to third on lap one, then sliced past early lead combatants Bradley Smith and Yuki Takahashi to go from third to first in a single move. Although he was pushed back by Luthi and Iannone, Corsi was able to retain third, with Smith taking fourth ahead of poleman and Qatar winner Stefan Bradl, who was not a factor in the lead battle this time.
Julian Simon was sixth while Alex de Angelis made an amazing recovery from a jump-start penalty to salvage seventh.
Eighth went to Kev Coghlan after the best drive of his short Moto2 career so far. He beat Michele Pirro to the place, with Max Neukirchner taking 10th from his MZ team-mate Anthony West on the last lap.
Takahashi crashed out of third on lap six. The other main accident among the frontrunners happened moments later, when Jules Cluzel lost control at the first corner and crashed into the back of Marc Marquez, taking both out. Cluzel apologized in the pits afterwards.
Results - 26 laps:
Pos Rider Team/Bike Time/Gap
1. Andrea Iannone Speed Master Suter 49m56.423s
2. Thomas Luthi Interwetten Suter + 7.850s
3. Simone Corsi Ioda FTR + 12.625s
4. Bradley Smith Tech 3 + 15.355s
5. Stefan Bradl Kiefer Kalex + 17.850s
6. Julian Simon Aspar Suter + 24.247s
7. Alex de Angelis JIR Motobi + 27.991s
8. Kev Coghlan Aeroport FTR + 36.181s
9. Michele Pirro Gresini Moriwaki + 36.775s
10. Max Neukirchner MZ + 41.407s
11. Anthony West MZ + 41.711s
12. Ratthapark Wilairot SAG FTR + 41.870s
13. Mattia Pasini Ioda FTR + 42.313s
14. Yonny Hernandez Blusens FTR + 45.384s
15. Esteve Rabat Blusens FTR + 47.193s
16. Kenan Sofuoglu Technomag-CIP Suter + 47.204s
17. Mika Kallio Marc VDS Suter + 47.316s
18. Javier Fores Aspar Suter + 50.677s
19. Xavier Simeon Tech 3 + 57.958s
20. Pol Espargaro Tuenti Speed Up FTR + 58.554s
21. Claudio Corti Italtrans Suter + 1m07.467s
22. Ricard Cardus QMMF Moriwaki + 1m10.925s
23. Scott Redding Marc VDS Suter + 1m16.149s
24. Aleix Espargaro ons Kalex + 1m19.512s
25. Raffaele de Rosa G22 Moriwaki + 1m22.459s
26. Mike di Meglio Tech 3 + 1m26.753s
27. Randy Krummenacher Kiefer Kalex + 1m37.226s
28. Dominique Aegerter Technomag-CIP Suter + 1m42.838s
29. Kenny Noyes Avintia FTR + 1m54.532s
30. Valentin Debise Speed Up FTR + 1m57.120s
31. Santiago Hernandez SAG FTR + 1 lap
32. Steven Odendaal MS Suter + 1 lap
33. Mashel Al Naimi QMMF Moriwaki + 3 laps
Alex Baldolini Forward Suter 12 laps
Marc Marquez Catalunya Suter 10 laps
Jules Cluzel Forward Suter 10 laps
Yuki Takahashi Gresini Moriwaki 9 laps
Robertino Pietri Italtrans Suter 4 laps
Lukasz Wargala G22 Moriwaki 1 lap
Axel Pons Pons Kalex 0 laps